CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE: Lethargic

Valentina ran into the hospital without saying goodbye to Luca, leaving him in the car as she fell through the front doors. It was busy with people, as usual, and as she hurried to the front desk, she forgot to care that there were people in line. Her eyes stung with tears, and her voice was shaking as she asked where her mother was. The lady at the desk looked sympathetic, making her heart drop, fearing she was too late.

After directing her to the first floor, the nurse went back to speak with the people who were once before Valentina with a quick apology. Valentina didn't bother taking the elevator, she went straight to the stairs and skipped steps as she went upstairs, almost crashing into an old lady who was descending them at a slow pace. She didn't bother to apologize. She wanted to get to her mother as fast as possible.

First, Valentina spotted her father in front of one of the rooms in the hallway, then, she spotted a doctor talking to him. His eyes were watery as he listened, then they snapped straight to hers, and she lunged forward from her momentary pause, running to her father. He extended his arms and she jumped into them, almost causing him to trip. His strong arms wrapped around her, creating comfort she never knew she could feel, and she tried to keep herself from crying as she held onto him desperately. The doctor stopped talking and waited for them as her dad simply let her be engulfed in his arms like she was still a little girl.

"She is awake now," The doctor stated simply, looking at Valentina who still had her head buried in his father's chest. "Due to her liver being affected by the tumor, the chemicals and toxins can't do anything but build up now. Did she throw up before collapsing?"

"Well, she was in the bathroom, and she had an awfully yellow tint to her skin when she came out. Then, she just...fell to the floor," Her dad explained quietly, and the doctor nodded.

"Her heartbeat was too weak when we brought her in, but we managed to stabilize her for now. You can go in to see her," He paused. "I know this will be hard to hear, but I speculate her heart will stop sometime tomorrow."

A deadly silence took over, and Valentina felt her tears flow as she gripped her father's t-shirt. He nodded at the doctor, who placed a comforting hand on his shoulder before leaning forward and opening the door to the hospital room. Valentina slowly raised her head as she looked inside, seeing her mother lying on the bed with closed eyes. She glanced at the doctor, who went inside to check the monitors, and her father followed suit. With a deep breath, she took a step in as well.

"Hi honey," Her mother spoke, her voice a bit groggy. Valentina's heart wrenched as she looked at her.

"Hi mom," She said gently, sitting on the edge of her bed. Her mom's hand immediately clasped around hers. "How are you doing?"

"I'm very sleepy," She hummed weakly. The doctor watched her heart monitor, and she glanced at him.

"Your heartbeat is average right now Mrs. Barron," He concluded with a soft smile. "I suggest you rest as you are under some heavy painkillers."

"Where does it hurt?" Valentina asked quickly, although she guessed the answer already.

"My stomach."

The doctor nodded curtly, then murmured something to her dad before exiting the hospital room. Valentina looked at him for an explanation, but he avoided her eyes. He pulled a chair over to the bed and sat in it, holding onto his wife's other hand.

"I wish you could be home with us," His voice quivered, squeezing her hand.

"It would be nice. But they can help me here," She said slowly. "They always tried to help. Even if they can't help me now, they did their best."