CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE: Forgiven

It was quite strange for Valentina to wake up to her mother already in the kitchen, making her some sandwiches for school. It wasn't like she didn't appreciate it since her heart filled with happiness as soon as she saw her mother, it was because with this came the feeling of dread. She was dreading the day she had to see her go. She wished she wouldn't have to go to school, but she was only a week away from winter break anyway.

It wasn't her dad who drove her to school on that Monday, as he stayed home with her mom, and while they expected her to walk, she was driven by Luca, who waited for her in the parking lot like usual. They hugged, but things were a tiny bit awkward, neither of them willing to talk about what happened between them.

At school, Odette didn't mention the state Valentina's mother was in. She didn't bring it up, which she was thankful for, but at the same time, she knew Odette realized what was going on. Maybe not exactly what was happening, but she got the majority of it as the message was very clear.

Valentina isolated herself for most of the school day until her classes ended when she ended up standing in front of the student council room's door, wondering about what Ray was doing. It was a bit of a strange sight, her just standing there, her eyes unfocused as she stared at one spot in front of her, and maybe that was the reason for Ray opening the door at last with an astonished look.

"Go away please, I can't concentrate," He said, his eyebrows furrowed. Valentina's heart dropped as she lunged forward, holding the door so he wouldn't close it.

"Please, just listen to me, please," She mumbled, knowing it was her only chance to talk to him or he would shut her out forever. Both metaphorically and literally.

He didn't reply, and for a second, she thought he would slam the door in her face. He let go of the door, causing her to push it open, stepping inside with momentum. Still not willing to talk, he sat on the edge of his desk, keeping his eyes strictly on the floor. She was scared to talk, but as she closed the door behind her, she collected all her courage. There was no going back now.

"I'm here to tell you that what you are thinking is wrong," Valentina began, making him raise an eyebrow. She ignored it. "At first, I wanted to be closer to you to be a part of the student council, so I could steal the answer sheets because I was getting blackmailed. It's true, our friendship began on foundations full of lies, but when you didn't let me join and I got my hands on the answers by playing you, I still stayed by your side afterward. Because as time went by, I realized that I liked talking to you. I liked that you were blunt with me, that you would tell me when I was wrong, and that you still cared about me even though you resented showing it. I didn't use you to steal again, I wanted to leave you out of it. I know the friendship we built collapsed, but I think this time, we have a chance to rebuild it with something better. Because I regretted my actions. I'm deeply sorry that I hurt you, and I promise to never do it again."

Ray was silent after her monologue, still not meeting her eyes. She thought she fucked up, that she blew her only chance to make everything up to him. She felt her eyes fill with tears, and to avoid crying in front of him, she reached for the door handle, ready to leave. Ready to force herself to accept that it was over.

Except Ray didn't let her leave. He caught her arm before she could open the door and pulled her toward him, right into an unexpected hug. The air was knocked out of her lungs as he hugged her, a single tear rolling down her cheek as she carefully put her arms around him. She never would have thought in a million years that she was going to hug Ray at least once in her lifetime.

They stayed there for a while, just holding each other. Valentina was scared to let him go, so she kept herself in place, letting the tear dry on her cheek. Ray loosened his grip on her, then his hands fell to his sides, so she was forced to take a step back, looking at him. His eyes were a bit red and he wiped at them quickly, before adjusting his glasses.