CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR: Warm

Valentina was fast asleep when her phone began to buzz under her pillow, making her groan. At first, she thought it must have been a noise coming from somewhere else, maybe it was one of her parents' phones, but since the noise didn't subdue, and she could clearly feel the vibrations under her head, all she could do was sigh. She didn't know why there was an alarm set so late or how she could set it when she didn't even open the app for days. Huffing that the noise wasn't stopping, she yanked the phone out, and as the screen lit up, she was forced to squint, trying to get her eyes adjusted to the sudden brightness.

Her so-thought alarm wasn't an alarm after all, but rather a call coming in from...Luca. She blinked, wondering whether she was still dreaming, then reached down to pinch herself to confirm her suspicions. She wasn't dreaming. Luca Lennox was actually calling her at eleven p.m. so casually that she couldn't believe it. Cautiously, she answered the call as she cleared her throat, holding her breath. She really didn't know what to expect as she mumbled a sleepy hi into the phone.

"Hi, can you come down?" Luca questioned sweetly, making Valentina furrow her eyebrows. It was a sudden request, and after imagining a million different possibilities as to why he was calling her, that wasn't one of them. "Dress warmly."

"I didn't even agree yet," Valentina chuckled, her voice still raspy. She was still a bit shocked, but she couldn't help but ask; "What do you have in mind?"

"You'll see," Luca answered secretively, making her groan. She wasn't very keen to get out of bed so soon after falling asleep.

"Fine. But you have too many surprises," She huffed playfully, knowing she had no choice but to oblige at last. After all, he literally showed up at her house. "Next time maybe save it for the day, so I don't miss out on so much sleep."

"But I love hearing your sleepy voice. Especially when you hum," He replied, his voice calm and deep, making Valentina's heart skip a beat. She bit down on her lower lip.

She placed her phone on her bed, putting it on speaker and lowering the volume so her parents surely wouldn't hear it from the other room. Then, she started gathering some warm clothes she could put over her pajamas, digging through her closet.

"Why are you so quiet?" Luca questioned in confusion, making her chuckle. "Did you fall back asleep?"

"I'm dressing," She muttered back simply.

"Oh," He mumbled, his voice smaller and less confident than before. Valentina smirked to herself.

"Don't get too imaginative now, darling," She hummed, pulling a jumper on. He didn't respond, so she held her laugh. "I'm ready, I think. I'll be down in a minute."

She hung up, then sneaked out of her room straight to the front door, picking up her boots and coat on the way. She unlocked the door as silently as she could, taking the key with her and locking it as soon as she exited the flat. She waited for a few seconds, making sure her parents weren't after her, then pulled her boots on. She hurried down the stairs while she put her coat on, fighting the shiver that rippled through her body.

As she exited the building, she zipped her coat up, adjusting the scarf around her neck. She looked up, meeting Luca's eyes, who was just in front of the stairs, waiting for her. He smiled brightly as soon as he saw her, and she walked down to him hesitantly.

"I'm sorry that I didn't talk to you much today, it was dumb of me," He began, taking one of her hands with both of his own. "It was a combination of me being a bit stressed and that I was still in disbelief that I...kissed you."

"Why were you stressed?" Valentina questioned, ignoring the other part of his sentence altogether. It made her nervous and her stomach flipped at the thought of it.