CHAPTER NINE: Perplexed

Drumming her fingers on the table, Valentina waited for Odette at the nearby café, sending away the third waitress with an apology who asked her to order something. Apparently, people couldn't just sit in cafés without buying anything anymore, or they'd be kicked out onto to street without mercy.

Odette didn't lie about being late, that was for sure, but it still annoyed Valentina greatly. She knew Odette was the kind of person who was fashionably late, but Valentina was about to be humiliated by getting thrown out of a goddamn café. Maybe they'd even forbid her from ever stepping a foot inside again.

Finally, she caught sight of Odette pushing the glass door open, dressed for a runway, wearing her caramel hair in beautiful, elegant curls. Her electric eyes flashed at a man who bumped into her, and Valentina swore she could see the fear in the poor man's eyes. That's right, Odette Wraith was one to fear.

"Sorry for being late darlin'," Odette began, shrugging off her jacket and draping it over the chair. "Ordered yet?"

"Nope, but if we don't, they are escorting me out. That one waitress seems very violent," She whispered back with wide eyes, casting her a glance.

"Don't worry, I'll call one of them over. Hopefully, it's not the scary one who decides to take our order," Odette shuddered. Valentina knew she was a regular at the café and had a hunch that she wanted to invite her there on the exam day too.

After ordering two iced coffees, Odette leaned forward, propping her elbows up onto the table in front of her, and entwining her fingers under her chin for support. She was clearly waiting for Valentina to start talking, probably wanting to hear the latest stuff happening in her life. And Valentina was going to open up about everything.

She thought about it all night the day before as she watched her mother sleep, knowing that there had to be at least one person to know about everything, so maybe they could help her out with some nice advice. And Odette seemed trustworthy enough, at least Valentina thought that after she spent so much time with her and there was still no backstabbing, there was finally a genuine friendship in her life.

"I'm really stupid," Valentina blurted with a grimace, making Odette blink back at her.

"Go on."

"I accidentally began selling cheat answers and-"

"How can you even do that accidentally?!"

"-I might have gotten blackmailed by Luca Lennox whom I partnered up with for this little business and we even agreed to split the money and I might have seen Sasha buying drugs in an alley the other day and I might have talked about it to Ray and now I feel like a horrible person because they are going to argue about it and-"

"Okay, stop, just stop," Odette frowned, raising a hand to shut her up. "One question; what the fuck?"

Her question was a bit too loud, causing the majority of people in the café to look their way. Valentina smiled back awkwardly as Odette rolled her eyes, sending them one look that read "Go mind your own business or else".

"So, first things first," She started again, now a bit calmer. "You are spreading answer sheets for money."

Valentina nodded guiltily, scratching the back of her neck with a grimace. It sounded much worse out of somebody else's mouth than in her thoughts.

"And you are a team with Lennox now, which is undoubtedly a bad idea," She sighed in frustration. "Plus, you saw some stuff you shouldn't have."

"Sasha was buying drugs from Oliver, Matt's teammate, in a dark alley, and I didn't know what to do about the situation, so..."