CHAPTER FIVE: Exhausted

Valentina woke up with a book fallen on her head, the other textbooks all scattered around her bed. Her stomach was in knots as she pushed herself into a sitting position, causing the book to fall on the floor with a thud. She glanced at her phone, but she was still on time, school was not starting for another hour. Or rather, exams not starting till then.

The first exam she was going to have was Math, and as she studied her ass off for it, there should be no problem with that one. The next one would be English, and since she had been getting excellent grades, it wouldn't have been too problematic either. Her only concern was Chemistry and Geography, as both of those were difficult for her. History was saved for the last, but that was basically the least of her worries.

Her mother had sent her a text the previous day, wishing her good luck, and Valentina was glad she remembered, but it was rather impossible not to, as two days prior, she sat beside her bed spewing out all her worries about it. Valentina texted her now, asking how she was, then finally got out of bed.

Stretching a little, she headed for the bathroom to take a cold shower, as she wanted to be as fresh as possible. Her stomach was grumbling, and she knew she had to eat something so she could think properly, but she had no idea what to eat, or rather, how she could buy herself breakfast.

When Valentina was done in the bathroom, she styled her curtain bangs, put on her uniform, then collected everything she might have needed for the day. She filled her bottle up with tap water and threw it in her bag along with her pencil case and the energy bar she found in the vending machine at the start of the week. She was saving it for a moment when she was so hungry, she couldn't take it anymore, but her mind was elsewhere, so she never quite got to it.

Exiting her room with her backpack on her back, Valentina found herself face-to-face with her dad yet again. He was smiling and had a bar of chocolate in his hands, extending it to her. She raised an eyebrow as she took it carefully, waiting for an explanation.

"I know your exam is today, so I prepared some breakfast for you," He announced, leading her toward the kitchen.

"The chocolate?" She asked, dumbfounded, to which he chuckled.

"No, that's just to improve your brain activity. I made some real breakfast."

As they stepped into the kitchen, Valentina was immediately hit by the smell of pancakes, causing her stomach to churn loudly. That earned another laugh from her father as she eagerly sat down, staring at the very aesthetically pleasing pancakes. There was some maple syrup on the top, her favorite, along with a small block of butter. The whole thing looked like it was straight out of a magazine.

"Wow." Was all she could utter as she turned to her father, hugging him tightly. "Thank you so much!"

He patted her head, which she didn't mind for once even though it probably messed up her hair, then picked up the fork and got to work. She practically devoured all the pancakes she had in front of her, and the thing was, that she could have eaten even more of them because of how hungry she was and how delicious they were.

Valentina really couldn't have been more grateful for her father, and she didn't realize she needed something like that for so long, and now she couldn't be happier. If her mother was coming home the next day, it was all going to be too good to be true.

Her father said goodbye to her, kissing her on the cheek while he hugged her, not wanting to let go of her just yet, but both of them had places to be, and they couldn't do anything about that. He made sure she was pocketing the chocolate he gave her, then let her go, waving from the front door as she descended the stairs.

With each step toward the school, Valentina's stomach felt like it was shrinking. Her hands were fiddling with the strap of her bag, her eyes wandering around her surroundings to occupy herself. She wanted to be done with the whole day already, as she would rather be at home, cleaning the whole place up so her mother wouldn't freak out when she got home.