chapter seventeen

Third person POV

Jeff explained who they were and where they were coming from or if anyone is bitten or infected before the guards let them in. They were directed to the garage to park their bus in the lot, which has many other vehicle. The fort was big but they had only seen the front part, the group watched in awe as they got down from the bus with their things. Jeff was introduced to a man who came out from one of the large building, many , hundred of people , they almost panic if one was infected but 'Richard' the man they were introduced to, assured them the Fort was safe and no undead could get in, only the living stay here....Richard assure them, they will be put on quarantine in a cell for 24houes...the guys wanted to disagreed with but Richard said if they didn't comply, the people won't be happy, they would be cautious of them and make their group an outcast.

The group was taken to the lab for check up and it was negative, they were given clean clothing and taken to the bathroom for shower, they had only been to a small part of the fort but it was still large, their weapons were taken away with promise to return them after their quarantine. They were given dinner , vegetable with rabbit soup and rice, they ate to their satisfaction before they were took to the quarantines cell with furnished bed and chairs, all through the night , the chatted about the day and the fort. Richard stayed with them for some time along with a red hair woman, who is known as Nurse Laurence, the nurse did check up for Clara and assured them her baby was fine. Cain and Elle were not chained to the wall because they believed children are innocent and there was no traces of scratch or wound on them. Richard was a commander in Albany, he was transferred to New York before the pandemic, he lost his blind mother and newly wedded wife to the infected. The military tried to fight the infected but they lost many men in which one was Richard childhood friend. One of the militant had gave the government the idea of the fort, evacuate people to reduce the number of infected, they tried to contact the people in city before network and electric  went out. They stocked the fort with food to feed millions but they only got a thousand  people,boys,girls,men,women,babies,olds, they were all welcome. People participated in activities to keep the fort running, the cook,doctors,farmers,raiders, scavenger, traders,tailors,hairdresser, blacksmith, engineers and guards , all this activities are done in group and volunteers must be 16 and upward, there was playground for children and school, everyone gets a room and no one walks around without their citizens badge.

             Jamaica POV

Carl told me how they lived in the past few months and why she was outside, she had gone to look for her mother when the undead cornered her. Carl is 12 years while Cloe is 1 year old "where were you headed before you save me" Carl asked, we sat on the living room floor close to the window which curtain was drawn up to allow moon light in along with chilly weather but none of us complained. "I was looking for my friends" I replied "your friends" Carl chuckled "no one's out there, they might be dead" she added "I'm sure they are still alive" I said "where are your family" Carl asked pulling her knee to her chest "family?" I repeated staring out at the moon, I felt a pang of hurt in my chest, knowing that I wasn't with my family anymore "parents ? I don't know where they are, sister ?, she's with my friend and uncle" I replied "you have a sister?" Carl asked and I nod "what is she like ?" She asked anxiously "she's 8,smart and childish" I replied but then I realised ever since the start of this new world Elle behave more matured. I stared at Carl, even though she's 12, she has just the same stature with Elle and Cain and Cloe reminds me so much of when Elle was a baby.

I can hear the moans of undead outside, I had woken up earlier today because my wound was itchy, it has no chance if getting infected now that it was stitched, Carl was still sleeping but Cloe was awake and in my arm as I fed her her solution. Carl's room door open and she came out yawning "hey" Carl greeted walking toward me "good morning" I replied "she woke up early" I said as I dropped the empty feeder on the table , giving Cloe to Carl. I walked to the kitchen, checking the fridge, we only have food to last two days "we can go get some food" Carl said entering the kitchen "how? We don't know what being is waiting in the store" I replied resting my backside on the kitchen cabinet "we only need to smell like them" Carl suggested and I chuckled before it dawn on me on what she was saying "you mean covering ourself in their gore" I asked confuse "yes, they won't attack if we smell like them" she replied "once one of them fell on me though dead and the others ignored me like I never existed" she added as we went in the living room "but you never tried it again" I said "it won't kill to try, we only have to get their mashy gore on us" Carl argued and I went silent but I can never rub their disgusting skin on mine...gush...how will that feel...I might puke "no... nope..never" I said and that ended the discussion, Carl chuckled thinking about my fear which I wouldn't admit to ,not in years to come and not now.