[17.1] THE OTHER MATE

Začít od začátku

"Are you listening Kayos?"

My attention snapped back to reality, though I didn't look back at her, "speak mother," I sighed, "I'm listening."

I turned to her, placing my hands behind my back as my gaze traced back to her.

Her concerned eyes cleared slowly, a soft look in them.

By far that was the expression I hated the most. When she had that look on, she would say something to make me believe she understood however I felt. I know she only hoped to raise my spirit but I don't recall a moment it ever had.

"I know you grow agitated the closer the date of your mating ceremony draws." She began, holding the same look in her eyes.

"Yes," I muttered, my throat dry. I was not fond of the date, it was no secret.

The date felt like a bright sun looming over me, burning my eyes. I longed for a dark cloud instead.

"And I know you wish for more time. The time I can not give."

My eyes studied hers as she spoke. I knew all of this. I did not understand why she was repeating it once again as if it would change anything.

"I am aware."

She let out a loose breath walking towards me, the closer she drew the more uncomfortable I felt. Not because she was a threat in any way, but simply because I knew she would try her best to bring me comfort.

Something that worked when I was a young pup, but her efforts were now wasted and I had no feelings of comfort drawn from her anymore. All I felt was her pity and her disappointment. Those eyes that held so many promises, shattered hopes and wants.

She stopped a foot away from me searching my eyes. The only other being who could.

However, I could feel her fear in them, no matter how hard she tried to hide it.

"This was the agreement made. Time has come and gone and now you must be arranged to be mated on the eve of your 25th. I wished you more time, truly," she urged, her hand caressing my face, "but it is necessary to avoid an Ever Night."

Her fingers slipped away from my face, as she turned away. She seems to be holding in a breath, or tears, one or the other, it did not take away from the shake in her voice.

My jaw tightened, though I didn't bother to reply to her remarks. Even my mother feared an Ever Night.

Still, I couldn't blame her. It was simply what I am, and even as I stood, I longed for that dark place. To waste into its nothingness before the date of my mating.

Only one thing made me want to wake up another day. It was the mystery of the Keffer. Shade. The girl whose very skin mirrored my soul. Whose existence held a shallow promise I was determined to keep.

"We can not fail the treaty." Mother continued.

I knew of the agreement.

After Criston the Cruel, every Night Wolf that had not been mated by his 25th birthday would be arranged to be mated.

Normal wolves usually found their mates days or months after their eighteenth birthday. If one had to wait for two to three years it was considered long and unlucky yet not completely unheard of.

If one had to wait for 4-5 years it was considered a punishment by Selene, for one's wrongdoings.

If a wolf who was not a keffer had not found his mate in six years or more, they were considered unworthy by Selene, but since they had a wolf, still had some sort of redemption, therefore they still amassed respect.