Then his comms crackled to life.

"Lord Commander," the AI controlling Nighthawk One said. "It is imperative that you evacuate this location immediately."

Nodding tightly, the big vampire quickly reached into his utility pouch. Then it was Naryan that was getting no less than two kickstarters punched into her upper body before he pulled out his vial of wound seal and filled the hole as best he could. Then he was carefully putting his hands beneath her unmoving body.

"My Lord!" the AI exclaimed. "This unit has detected an incoming MOAB targeting this location. It will obliterate a square kilometer of territory upon detonation. Impact will take place in two minutes, ten seconds."

Then Ballan was beside him.

"I caught that last part, boss," the French Ventru said tautly. "Two minutes and this place disappears into a big hole. We need to go, mon amie!" He then turned to the battered squads all around him. "We are evacuating. Grab those that aren't ambulatory." Ballan turned to see One descend low enough to start dropping her ramp.

"Go now!" he barked, directing the Force Recon legionnaires and his Strike operators with a knife hand. Only then did he turn back to Lash.

And found the big vampire standing, his handsome face a mask of rage and pain.

"Lead, Ballan," he growled. "Narya and I will follow!"

Nodding, the French vampire began running towards One's lowered ramp.

"Tanner!" he shouted as he ran. "Saddle up! We are leaving!"

"Copy that," the British legionnaire replied, quick gestures with a knife hand pulling her battered squad out of their rampart formation and sending them running at full speed towards the ramp. As the first reached it and took up a guard position, the gatling guns opened up again to slash across the top of the wall, cutting down dozens of White Flames attempting yet another surge into the courtyard.

Beyond them Two and Three traded missile and gatling gun fire with what was now visible as nearly a dozen SA330 Pumas with missile booms on their fuselages and mini-guns on swivels. Then Ballan was going up the ramp, followed closely by Lash with Naryan in his arms.

"Emergency pull away, One!" Ballan snapped as he reached out and hammered the ramp control with a fist to begin its sealing cycle.

"Acknowledged, Operator Ballan," the AI replied throughout the passenger bay and everybody had to reach for something to hold onto as the powerful gunship sent full power to its fans and immediately shot up and out of the courtyard like it was launched on a catapult. Then she was adding her firepower to Two and Three, quickly dropping the remaining helicopters facing them.

"Sky is clear," Truk reported over the comms from Three. "Fall back to position Omega!"

"Acknowledged, Operator Truk," One's AI replied and the gunship banked hard to starboard before joining Two and Three in a tight formation back over Halle and out to sea.

Easing back from where he had used his body to hold Naryan still during the maneuvering, Lash suddenly found Ellie and Tanner beside him.

"Here," the Ventru little sister turned medic indicated. "Let's get her into a bed!"

"Alert. Patient vitals have fallen below nominal operating parameters," the AI reported as they carefully laid Naryan into one of the medical cylinders.

"Hang in there, boss," Tanner said in a low, intense voice as they were joined by Galloway.

"No," the master sergeant groaned in despair. "She took that hit after making sure I was going to pull through!"