Twenty Nine*

Ella Frazier

"It needs something else," Mia tells me through the facetime call on my phone.

I nod, "I agree," bringing my finger up to my chin. My eyes scan around my room until they land on a pair of sunglasses resting on my dresser. I quickly dart out of the bathroom, grabbing the sunglasses and letting them rest on the bridge of my nose. I pop back into Mia's view on the phone, "What about these?"

Mia shuts her eyes, bringing her hands above her head as she shakes her head, "Incredible. She's done it again."

I take a fake bow, "Thank you, thank you."

I grab my phone, shut off the light from the bathroom, and head into the kitchen, propping my phone back up on the countertop.

"How is the family?" I ask, reaching for the cupboard with my singular bottle of vodka. I grab the handle, pull it out, and set it on the counter as I grab a small shot glass.

"Fine," Mia tells me, making me laugh.

"Fine?" I question, pouring a little bit of the vodka into my glass.

Mia lets out a laugh, watching as I down the shot, my face screwing up as the burning sensation of the liquid trails down my throat.

"What polar opposite Friday nights we are having," She tells me, "But yes, fine. Where is Harry?"

"On his way," I say, filling my glass with one more shot. I put the vodka back into the cupboard, deciding that two is just enough for me right now.

"Three, two, one," I hear Mia shout, and I lift the shot up, swallowing the liquid once she gets to one.

I let out a cough, setting my hands on the countertop and shaking my head at the taste, "God, that's fucking terrible."

I hear my front door open, my head turning to see Harry walking in. He's dressed in a simple black t-shirt and a pair of black jeans, and although I can't see his shoes right now, they are probably the same pair of black boots that he tends to wear out.

"What's the grimace for?" He asks with a laugh, making his way over to me. He tosses his keys onto the counter as his arms wrap around my waist, resting his chin on my shoulder

"God, goodbye," I hear Mia say through the phone, my head lifting up to my phone, seeing her with a mischievous smile.

"Hi, Mia," Harry says, dragging out the pronunciation of the words.

"Hello," She says, "How are you?"

"Wow, she's being nice today," Harry whispers into my ear. "I'm good, Mia. How are you?" he perks up.

"I'm alright, I was just keeping El company until you got here, but now that you are here, my work here is done," She explains.

"Yes, thank you for your service," I say, grabbing my phone from the counter.

"Anytime, both of you have fun and be safe. If you need anything, call Wyatt or me, alright?" She says, and I roll my eyes.

"You sound like mom," I say, and Mia's jaw drops while Harry lets out a laugh that hits my ear, making me smile.

She shakes her head, "Don't ever say that again."

"Okay, okay. I'll talk to you later. Bye," I say. Mia wishes us both goodbye, and I hang up the phone. Once I set my phone down, Harry tightens his hold around me, and I rest my hands on his forearms, letting out a content sigh.

"And how are you, sweet girl?" Harry asks, peppering a kiss onto my cheek.

"I'm good. How was your day?" I ask him, dropping my hands from his arms and turning in his hold to face him now. Harry takes a step forward, making me move back until my lower back meets the edge of the countertop. He sets his hands on either side of me, trapping me between him and the surface.