Ten

Harry Styles

The room falls silent, just the sound of our light breathing filling the space.

No words have been said in the last ten minutes, the thoughts in my head running a mile a minute as I go over every scenario possible.

I feel a pair eyes on me, my heart starting to beat faster at the sudden pressure I feel to scramble for some sort of answer to the questions staring back at me on the millions of papers spread out on the table before me.

The sound of the tip of a pen tapping eases the tension from the quiet room for two seconds before it gets to be too much.

I shove the papers from in front of me to the other side of the table, "I cant look at this fucking stuff anymore," I lean back in my chair, throwing my hands up to cover my face.

"You have been saying that for weeks," Wyatt tells me, throwing his pen down on the table

"Yeah, Im well aware," I huff out, leaning forward again and propping my elbows against the table.

"Do you have any clue what you are going to do?"

"Zero"

I feel a buzz against the table, both Wyatt and my own attention being direction to the vibration. On my phone, Ella's contact image lights up my screen, my phone continuing to ring as we both stare at it.

"Answer it," Wyatt says as he stands up from his chair, "I'll be back in a second."

Since coming back from our trip to Ella's parents, Ive been working like crazy. Between client contracts, work around the business and other things, its felt like I've lived in this building the past week.

And because of that, I haven't been able to see Ella as much as I want. Sure, I've gone over to her place after work or she's come to mine, but it's been practically just to go to bed. We haven't really had the time to sit and enjoy our time together.

I reach across the table, dragging my phone with my arm back to my body. I press answer, bringing my phone up to my ear, holding it with my shoulder as I start to organize the papers in front of me.

"Hi Ella Mae,"

"Hello," her sweet voice dances through the speaker

"What are you up to?" I ask her, stacking papers on papers together

"I was calling you to ask you the same question."

"Well," I clear my throat, "Taking a break from a meeting with Wyatt but other than that its been the same as it has all week."

Ella stays silent for a second and then clears her throat, "I miss you."

I stop in my tracks, the small tone in her voice sending a wave of hurt through my body. "I miss you too but hey, birthday is coming up soon."

"I know," she laughs, trying to mask a slight sniffle in the background.

"I already have our plans set up," I tell her, shoving the now sorted papers into the folder they were originally in, leaning back in my chair and letting out a breath.

"Harry we really don't have to do anything big," She tells me

"Too bad."

"Good, I was totally lying I wanted to do something fun."

I let out a laugh, both of us falling silent for a moment as Ella clears her throat once again, "So I actually called you for another reason other than to see what you were doing."

"And that reason is?" I ask, toying with the side of my suit jacket while I wait for her response

"Remember how I told you I had sent my writing to some companies?"