Twenty Eight

Ella Frazier

The concept of growing up has always been something that I've struggled to deal with.

I obviously know that I have to grow up, but that doesn't mean that I enjoy the thought of not being the innocent little girl I once was.

Sometimes I think about that life, the life where my biggest concern was whether or not my mom would let me wear the pink frilly skirt to school the next day or if the boy in my fifth-period math class liked me or not, since I thought he was the cutest boy at the time.

But now my concerns are much more significant. Will I get enough to pay for my rent this month? Do I have to pull an all-nighter to get this piece done for work?

The problem staring at me right in the face right now is: Will I be able to take care of my older sister's daughter?

That's another thing with growing up. I remember when Mia used to be so excited when mom and dad would be gone for the night because it meant she got to babysit me. Mia and I thought it was so funny whenever they would leave her in charge, simply because she wouldn't care about anything I did, which led to us just creating trouble for however long my parents were gone.

I just find it insane that Mia used to watch me and be responsible for my health and safety, and now I'm responsible for the same things, just with a kid of her own.

"You are overthinking it, El. You've taken care of her before." Harry says, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I turn my attention from the tv, or what little attention I had on it, and look over at him.

"I didn't even say anything," I point out. Harry shoots his eyebrows up, almost like he's surprised by my response.

"I have been trying to start a conversation with you for the past few minutes, and you just kept staring at the TV. I figured you were in your head," He says, shrugging his shoulders, "You didn't say anything, correct, but I could tell something was eating at you."

I let out a sigh, dropping my shoulders that I didn't realize were so tense. "I know I've watched her before, but all those times it's been at Mia's house, they have all the stuff for Piper. I don't have anything for a baby here," I say, waving an open palm around the living room of my apartment.

Harry lets out a laugh, sitting up straight from his slouched position on my couch. He reaches forward, taking my hand in his own and bringing it up to his mouth, placing a light kiss on my knuckles, then resting his lips against my skin.

"I'm more than sure that anything Piper needs, they will bring," He tells me, "I don't think they expect you to have anything for her since you don't have a baby of your own."

"You are so right," I laugh, pulling my hand out of his hold and throwing them into the air, "Why am I freaking out?"

Harry sighs, "Because they are putting their trust in you for their child."

"Hey," I say, "It's not just me. You are here now, so if anything happens, you're to blame too."

Harry throws his hands up in defense, "Okay, I get it. Don't let the kid die, or it's my fault."

I drop my jaw at the words that leave his mouth, "Well, don't say that!"

"What do you want me to say," Harry laughs

"I don't know but not anything about my niece dying under our care," I squint my eyes at him.

"Okay, okay, I'm sorry" He laughs

Both of our attention snaps to the door the second two knocks hit it. I quickly shoot up from the couch, quickening my steps to the door. I twist the handle, yanking the door open to reveal Mia and Wyatt standing in the doorway, Wyatt's hand occupied with a carrier where Piper is strapped in.