Twenty Four

Harry Styles

"You missed a lot while you were gone."

I spin on my heels, facing Wyatt, sitting at the barstools that line the kitchen counter.

"I'm aware," I say, a slight annoyance in my tone. I turn back around, grab a plate from the inside of the sink, and cover it in soap. I scrub the plate while I "listen" to Wyatt continue talking about all the things I missed while I was gone.

I try my best to tone it out simply because I don't want to hear it. I know that I missed things, and I am aware that everyone's lives don't stop the second I'm not involved in them. I just don't like to think about all the things I missed. It makes me sad to know that I lost the chance to experience some life-changing events with the people that I love. Just because I'm aware, though, doesn't make it easier to hear about.

I hear a ring sound from my phone, causing me to grab a towel to dry my hands as I walk over and look at the screen, seeing a text from Ella letting me know she is on her way to my place.

"Alright, I hate to just kick you out but get out," I say to Wyatt, my tone flat as I toss the towel onto my shoulder.

"Wow," Wyatt says, bringing a hand to cover his heart, "That was so easy for you to say."

"Well," I shrug in a joking manner. I prop my hands against the counter, looking at him with a blank stare. After a second, he lets out an over-exaggerated sigh, pushing himself out from behind the barstool and standing up from his chair.

He walks to the front door, stomping his feet into his shoes and then staring at me.

"You always leave me for Ella," He jokingly pouts like a little child.

"Can you blame me?" I say.

Wyatt lifts his head up to me, squinting his eyes, "This feels like a trick question."

I roll my eyes at him. "Don't you have a wife to get back to?" I ask him, "And a baby? Why are you pouting about leaving me?"

"Don't remind me," He says, reaching for the door handle, "And I missed you, dumbass. You're my best friend."

I let out a small scoff mixed with a laugh, a smile creeping on my face.

"I'm kidding. Love them to death and can't wait to get back home to them," He tells me, focusing on the first part of his response to me. He steps out into the hallways of my apartment complex.

I nod my head. "You should get on a little family of your own," Wyatt looks at me, raising a single eyebrow.

I drop my expression, "Enough. Out."

Wyatt throws his hands up in defense, "What, you act like you don't want-"

And I don't hear the rest of his sentence because I slam the door in his face.

"What the fuck," I hear him shout out from behind the closed door

"Go home," I shout back in a sing-songy tone.

The area falls silent before I hear Wyatt yell, "Love you."

"You too," I laugh back.

With that, I hear the faint sound of his footsteps getting quieter and quieter away from my door until they disappear entirely. I make my way back to the kitchen, finishing up the last few dishes I have in the sink, drying them off, and putting them away.

I hear a few light knocks at my door, causing my heart to jump slightly as I round the kitchen corner. I head to the door, pull on the handle, and yank the door open, seeing Ella standing in the doorway. The minute the door opens up, her head lifts from the direction of her feet up to meet my gaze.