Twelve

Harry Styles

I twist the knob of the stove off, watching as the red color from the burner dissipates. I toss all the dirty dishes into the sink, telling myself I would deal with them later. I walk over to the countertop, stacking a few freshly made chocolate chip pancakes on top of each other.

I pace around my kitchen, pulling open drawer after drawer until I come across the one filled with random kitchen supplies. I rummage through the wooden drawer, attempting to find the small package of candles that I know I bought a while ago. I pull out a single pink candle, shoving it into the top of the pancakes just as I hear the bedroom door open.

I stand in front of the plate, my hands behind my back, messing with the rings on my fingers as I wait for the sleepy birthday girl to make her way out to find me. A few seconds later, in walks Ella. Her hair is slightly messy, her eyes tired, and her movement slow. However, the second she spots me, a bright smile appears on her face, the wrinkles around her eyes emerging from the smile.

"Happy Birthday, Ella Mae," I say as she walks closer to me. I step to the side, revealing the plate of freshly made chocolate chip pancakes: her favorite. She walks over to me, wrapping her arms around my waist and resting the side of her face against my chest. I wrap my arms around her neck, resting my chin on the top of her head. After a few seconds, Ella pulls back from the hug, peering around my body to look at the food.

She lets a little laugh, making me screw my face up in confusion about what she's laughing about. I turn my head, looking at the plate before it hits me.

"Shit, hold on," I laugh, walking over to the entranceway of my apartment. I grab the small lighter off the little table that sits right next to the door, turning back to walk over to Ella, who is still in the kitchen, her arms crossed in front of her with a close-lipped smile.

I hear Ella laugh, "I was wondering if you would notice."

I flick the wheel of the lighter a few times until the flame sparks, holding it up until the candle's wick picks up the flame, "Cut me some slack; you woke up quicker than I thought."

She lets out another laugh as she slowly closes her eyes. A tiny smile stays on her face as she lets her brain run free, thinking of something to wish for. She blows out the flame a moment later, opening her eyes and looking up at me.

"What did you wish for?" I jokingly ask

Ella drops her face at me, setting the plate onto the counter, "Really? I can't tell you."

I throw my hands up in mock defense, "Kill a man for wanting to know what his girl wishes for."

"Maybe I didn't wish for anything," She says, grabbing a fork from the drawer in front of her," I've got pretty much everything I want in life."

"You can always wish for something."

"Fair point," She points the fork in my direction, "But I wished for something I already have."

"Now, why would you do that?" I ask, tilting my head at her.

Ella shrugs her shoulders, "Guess I'm just making sure it stays."

I nod slowly, watching as Ella continues eating her birthday breakfast. "I'll be right back," I tell her, kissing her. Ella nods in response, stabbing her fork into the section of pancakes she just cut.

I turn and head back into my room. I shut the door quietly, hoping Ella won't get in here. I turn towards my dresser, opening the top drawer and shuffling the contents until my hand hits the tiny box I hid.

I pull out the small jewelry box, shoving it into the pocket of my sweatpants. Next, I make my way over to the nightstand on her side of the bed, pick up her keys and take off the key that unlocks her apartment door, also tucking that away into my pocket. I head back out to Ella in the kitchen, where she sits on the counter, plate on her lap as she chews the piece of food in her mouth. The second I reappear, she lifts her head so that her eyes meet mine.