Twenty Two

Harry Styles

"Everything is going to be fine. Just take a deep breath."

I set my phone onto the top of my mattress beside me, pressing the speaker button on the screen. I blow out a breath, running my hands up and down my pants as I try to take deep breaths.

"Honey, it's just dinner. Haven't you guys gone out to dinner a bunch of times before?" My mum asks me through the phone.

"Yeah, but this time is different," I say

"Why?" She questions

"Because this time is a second chance to get things right," I tell her

I hear my mum let out a sigh, the clatter of something ringing through her end of the call. "Harry, I promise you that everything is going to be okay. It's a second chance, like you said, don't let it go to waste."

"I just hope she remembers how much I love her," I say.

"I'm sure she does. A love like you guys have doesn't just slip someone's mind that easily" My mom tells me, "And if she doesn't, then remind her."

I take a deep breath, blowing it out slowly. I grab my phone, "Alright, mum, I'm going to head out. I love you. I'll talk to you later."

"Love you, honey, have a great time tonight." She says before hanging up the phone.

I shove my phone into my pocket, sighing as I walk into the bathroom. I give myself one final look in the mirror, making sure that I look good for tonight. I decided to put on a black suit with white detailing lining the seams of the suit jacket and the pants. I threw a simple white button-up underneath the match the detailing and called it a day.

I run my hands through my hair, shutting off the light as I walk out of the bathroom and back into my hotel room. I grab my keys and wallet off the nightstand, picking up the flowers off the desk as I head for the door to my room. I call the elevator up to my floor, pulling my phone out of my pocket and searching for Ella's contact in my phone.

I send her a quick text, letting her know that I'm on my way to come and get her just as the elevator bell dings, the doors opening shortly after. I take the ride down to the lobby, heading out into the parking lot and finding my car.

I hop into the rental car I have for the rest of the week and set off toward Ella's apartment. The drive is quick since the hotel that I am staying in is located a lot closer than my place was when I lived here. I pull into the parking lot across the street from her complex, grab the flowers from the passenger seat, and climb out of the car.

I make my way into the lobby of Ella's apartment, waving a hand at the receptionist, who gives me a wide-eyed stare as she waves back. I ignore this, heading towards the stairs leading up to the floor she lives on. As I walk up the steps, a wave of nostalgia hits me. I remember all the times Ella and I would make the trip up here, the laughs that echoed in the empty stairwell, the countless times we have both stumbled up the concrete stairs after one too many drinks at Bandits. It all hits me.

Once I reach her apartment, I bring my hand up, knocking twice on the wooden door. I take a single step back, wrapping my hand around the plastic cover of the bouquet of flowers I brought. I did follow through with my plan, sending flowers to Ella's place, but I figured a girl of her caliber deserves every flower in the world.

I hear the sound of footsteps from behind the door getting closer, my heart rate picking up as the sound gets louder and louder. The sound of the lock flicking causes my heart to stop for a mere moment before the door is pulled open.

The second she becomes clear in my line of sight, I swear I could have cried. She looks absolutely stunning, which is nothing new to me. She has on a simple black tank top with some olive-colored pants and black boots on. She hasn't done anything special to her hair, not that she needs to. I love the simplicity that she has.