EPILOGUE

I couldn't believe the direction my life had taken. There were few times that I remembered that dark past. I had found the peace my soul needed. I had found Lisy.
Once, on his deathbed, Martin said something that now makes perfect sense: "Will... There will be a day you meet someone. And she will be the cure for all your hurts and on that day, my friend. .. you will be free”.
Was he right. I was free.
I was on top of my horse, looking down at the immensity of land in front of me.
- Will not you have lunch? Calvin asked.
"I'll be there in a little while." I need to go back and take the truck to the barn.
- All right.
"Are you going to have lunch at home?"
"Do you think I should?" she asked, laughing.
- Certainly. Lisy said that today she would make apple pie for dessert.
"Then I cannot refuse the invitation."
- Not even.
"Then I better go take a shower." I smell like cow calving.
I laughed and knew I didn't smell good either. I turned my eyes to all that land and missed my adoptive father. Wallace, whom I called grandfather, was important to me. I loved him.
I had promised myself to value those I loved and to always show love and gratitude.
- Dad! - I called.
Calvin stopped the horse and looked at me. He always had that twinkle in his eye when I called him that.
"Tonight there's a bonfire." Take the harmonica.
"I will," he smiled. — Now I'm going to take my shower and I'll be there for lunch. See you soon, son.
“I am your son, Mister Mitchell.”
I took a breath, feeling the pure air rushing into me. That was life rushing through my lungs. I knew what it was to live and it was a good thing. I looked up at the sky and smiled.
I forgave my mother for never trying to leave and I don't know if I had forgiven my father, but in fact, I no longer hated him.
Lisy taught me about the importance of forgiveness, about taking the burden off your shoulders. The hurt, the hate, weighs tons on us and occupies a large space in our hearts. I didn't want to feel that, ever again.
I had returned to my faith and not a day went by when I didn't feel grateful for everything and God knows. The past no longer interfered with my present.
Some time later, I left the stable and took the truck to the barn. I got down and stomped my feet to get the dust off my boots. I walked towards my house, where a wonderful smell of food came from. I was starving.
As soon as I entered the room, I heard a small noise and knew where it was coming from.
"Who's daddy's princess?"
I took Angelini in my arms and placed a kiss on her cheek. She smiled and did the same.
I put her on the ground and then I picked up Davies.
"There you are, cowboy!" - I told him.
He smiled and laid his little head on my chest.
My wife came over and gave me a tender kiss on the lips. I put Davies on the ground and hugged her.
— I made ribs. Come eat.
- I'm going. I'm just going to take a shower,” I said.
At the same moment, Angelini gave a high-pitched scream and clapped his little hands with glee.
I looked back to understand all that happiness and saw Cielo enter the room, along with Eva. Both spoiled my children. Cielo greeted us and kissed the twins.
"Cielo came to lunch with us," Lisy said.
"Then I'm going to shower as soon as possible, before everyone gets hungry because of me." God forbid I see Mom hungry,” I said quietly, “she doesn't act sane when she's hungry.
“I heard that, Will. Keep talking about me behind my back and you can forget about the chili I was going to make you tonight.
- I was just kidding.
“You and Calvin deserve each other,” she growled.
Eva took Angelini in her arms and Cielo took Davies.
Lisy laughed and smiled at me and I smiled back. That smile was my undoing. It's been two years since we got married and all that desire we had for each other was still there, stronger than ever.
I was proud of my wife. She was always so affectionate, always attentive to everything that happened on the farm. She was a generous employer and a devoted mother. She had her coffee shop in town and went there, only on Saturdays to see how things were going. For the rest of the week, Lisy was all ours.
Sometimes we went to visit Ashley and Johnson. They were not married yet, but they lived together and were expecting a child. The wedding would wait until after the baby was born. Having Lisy's best friend living nearby made her immensely happy.
"Go up with me?" I asked.
She agreed and we went upstairs while Cielo and Eva took the twins to the playground that Calvin and I built.

***

At night, already in the bedroom, I looked at my wife without clothes, lying on the bed. The smug smile on her face made me want to kiss her breathless.
I slowly climbed onto the bed and stood over her.
“I will never get tired of you, sunshine. The more I have, the more I want.
I kissed her slowly and deeply. When she touched me, all the air in my lungs was gone. She still had that effect on me. And honestly, I never believed that this flame between us would ever go out.
That love would always burn in our hearts for the rest of our lives.
“I love you so much, Will. And I love it even more, knowing that you gave me a family.
I cradled her in my arms, placing a kiss on top of her head.
— If we have a family, it was because one day you appeared in my life. You made me want to have it all.
She touched my beard and ran her finger across my lips.
"I will never tire of your face."
- I know. My beauty is fascinating.
"Oh, my God... What an idiot you are!" she said in a loud laugh.
“Still, I'm an idiot who will always be in love with you.
“That's really good, because I love you.
“I love you too, sunshine. Ever!
Not many minutes passed and we were already loving each other again. Not a day went by that I didn't tell her I loved her, because that's the way it was supposed to be. I should every day show her that everything I had become was for her.
There could be thousands of women in the world and I only saw Heloyse. The only curve I wanted to touch was her body. The only face I wanted to see as I grew older was hers. If I died first, let her face be the last thing seen.
What we felt could not be measured, ever!
We were human and we would still make mistakes, however, she taught me the importance of forgiveness and the importance of being forgiven.
On the day of our wedding night, she said that the world would be worthless if it weren't for loving me. And I disagreed, because it would only be worth it if she was loved. And she was! And so I loved her the day I saw her. I loved it when I kissed her. I loved when we made love in the past. I loved it when she left. I loved her in the days before that, I love her today, and I will love her all the days to come. Loved her forever! And forever would be too little to show how much I loved her.

END