CHAPTER EIGHTEEN- ANOTHER LEWIS

Davies

Kimberley had her blonde braids tied in red ribbons. One on each side of the face. I liked her scent. She smelled like strawberry bubblegum.
She would always say “hi” to me and I would reply softly so the other boys wouldn't see. She wasn't my little girlfriend and I didn't want them to think that.
- Do you want? She held out her hand, offering her bag of potato chips.
I shook my head though, I was starving. I'd already eaten the four cookies my mom put in my bag.
“Okay then,” she said, smiling.
She went to play with other girls. I didn't have any friends.
In class, we learned which animals had scales. Mrs. Rudolf looked at me, asked me to stand up and asked someone's name.
“Lizard,” I said.
— Interesting choice. I didn't say anything about them. What do you know about geckos?
I looked at the children in front of me. I didn't want them to look at me. Every time Mrs. Rudolf asked me something, they looked at me.
“They have scales and… they lay eggs and eat insects. They're not dangerous and they can climb walls — I said a little embarrassed — And... and they live up to eight years. And when an animal attacks them, they release their tail and run away. And the syrup is struggling - I concluded.
“Oh, that's fascinating. How do you know all this?
“My friend Mr. Mitchell gave me a magazine that's all about reptiles.
“And you've acquired a good knowledge. I am proud of you. Class, how about clapping for the little friend?
I sat up and pressed my mouth tightly together to hold back the smile. I was happy.
When the class ended, Kimberley said that she would no longer be afraid of geckos. I did it. I took her fear away. Some boys ran past and she looked at me.
"Shall we race?" See the post?
Whoever arrives last is the gecko poop.
She started to run and then I ran too. I ran really fast and when I went to pass her, she got in front of me and I knocked her down. I didn't want to do that.
"Get away from her!" — I heard the mother of
Kimberley scream.
Was she mad at me?
"Oh, my God... You dropped her!"
I remained silent. I always got like that when an adult was mad at me. I had my hand shaking and I walked back in fear.
“Her knee is bleeding. You hurt her, unhappy her.
“I fell, Mama.
"He dropped her!"
- Not! It didn't drop!
She looked back at me, her face red, and she pointed her finger.
“Anyway, stay away. I don't want my daughter anywhere near any of you Lewis. You must be just another quarrelsome boy who will be like his grandfather and father. Surely, you will do just like them. Poor women! You're another Lewis who was born to hurt them.
I remained standing as she walked away.
Kimberley looked back and waved. I didn't wave at her. I couldn't because I was shaking.
I saw Mister Mitchell crossing the street so I ran and hugged him.
"Davies, what happened?"
“I hurt Kimberley. I'm a Lewis and all Lewis's hurt somebody.
I never spoke to Kimberley again, or any other child.