CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX - A NEW BEGINNING

Davies

The social worker adjusted the glasses down his nose. He turned a few more pages, intently.
Next to him was the psychologist who had assisted me since I was eight years old. And in all the years I've been in the same room as her, I've never opened my mouth to answer her questions. I didn't like people meddling in my business.
For six years, no one wanted to adopt me, so thanks to the mayor, I stayed at the Mitchell house. I thought this would never happen, but I was there, in front of the man who was going to adopt me.
I was sitting, feeling my hands get wet. I didn't trust anyone else but the Mitchells.
“My name is Wallace. It's a pleasure to meet you.” He held out his hand.
I looked down at his hand though, I didn't touch it. He brought his hand back to her side and sat down across from me.
“I know you must be scared. I promise I won't do you any harm. Believe me.
I remained silent.
I wiped my hands on my jeans, wiping my sweat and looked at Eva. Her eyes were teary and her head rested on Calvin's shoulder. She looked at me and gave a weak smile. I only agreed to be there willingly, if they were with me.
The conversation was going on all around me and I couldn't focus on anything they were saying. I just wanted to get out of there and get some air. I felt a slight tremor in my hands, like the times I was so scared of that bastard Wilson.
After they finished, they left us alone in the room and I watched attentively as the man got up.
He was black, tall and wearing a black suit. The hat he had on his head when he arrived was perched on the chair. His hair was very short and white.
He walked slowly, hands behind his back, and approached the window. He left one hand in the same place and with the other, he pulled the curtain a little and looked outside.
- Do you like horses? she asked, still keeping her eyes somewhere outside.
I did not answer.
"I have many horses and oxen." He looked at me.
"Have you heard of the O'Connor farm?" It is one of the oldest and is the largest in existence. There are even wild animals. Now, you are one of the richest men in Texas. Much more than rich.
“I'm not interested in your money,” I finally said.
“I didn't say I was. But like it or not, you are. And when I die, it's all yours.” He smiled. “Even if you never speak to me, if you never see me as someone for you, it will still be all yours, William. And since you don't want to accept my approach, I want you to accept at least the comfort I can give you - I looked away and ran my hands over my jeans again. “I'll teach you everything you need to know about a farm. You will be homeschooled and I am ready to do anything you ask of me.
- Anything?
- Yea.
“I want Calvin and Eva with me.
“They will, no doubt. I know they are important to you.
He looked at my hand gesture and then sat down next to me.
“I've also lost important people. All that were important. Today, I am a man alone and there are times when loneliness is not something you want for life. There are people who think that solitude is a good thing and little do they know that it is a false freedom. Anyway, everyone has their business, their pain. So I know how you feel.
He held out his hand, like he did when he walked through that door, and I hesitated, but this time, I returned the gesture.
After a few silent seconds, I looked at him and took a deep breath.
— I can't call him... I don't like the word "father"... I'm sorry!
- Don't worry about that. However, I would make a great grandfather. I was once a father and never had grandchildren. If you want to be, I won't object.” He flashed a smile. "So what do you want me to call you?" William or Davies?
I took a deep breath.
“Will. You can call me Will and never Davies.
- OK! Now go home, Will. Next week, you will have a new life.
I shook my head, a little in disbelief.