CHAPTER THIRTEEN- THE RIVER

Heloyse

Two months had passed and I still couldn't believe it.
The Ferrel estate was large. Not big like the O'Connor farm or the Whites'. It was all surrounded by a long fence and there was always something for Thom to fix. The work on the farm held my attention. It was good because I could keep my mind busy with something. It was my therapy.
When I went to the city with Cielo, Johnson was flirting with me, however, I had no interest in getting involved with anyone.
I saw Patsy a few times in town. And if before I thought I didn't like her, now I was sure. She always looked me up and down as if I were a creature from another planet. Then she would fake a smile.
During those days, Selena, Patsy's younger sister, was at the farm. She didn't have anything resembling the shrewish sister. The girl was polite. She's a redhead like her sister, but sweet.
The sun was strong. I inhaled the farm air, took off my hat, and wiped the sweat from my forehead. I needed to freshen up. I went into the house, took the pitcher of juice out of the fridge and helped myself. I remembered the river that Cielo had mentioned. The best part was on O'Connor's property.
Nothing better than sitting by a river, with a book for company. Sky lent me one. It was called "The Crooked House" by Agatha Christie. I loved this author's books.
I got in the truck and headed down the road. A few minutes later, I stopped the truck under a tree and walked towards the river. There was a fence that separated the part I was on from Mr. O'Connor's part of the farm.
The river was wonderful, but the part that was inside the farm was much better. Its vegetation was well cared for and in the water, there were stones that would make you stay there, sitting, enjoying the place. There were some trees with huge shadows. I liked that, as the region was very hot.
The river flowed through the entire property. From there, you couldn't see the farmhouse. I could climb over the fence that no one would see.
That's what I did.
- Damn it! I said as soon as I got under the fence.
My hair, which always lived in a bun, had a strand caught in the barbed wire. I pulled it. I picked up the book from the ground and headed under a tree, close to the edge.
"That William was lucky," I thought. He had a gold mine in his hands. I would love to have a house with a river.
I took some pictures of the place with my cell phone and looked around. I had never been to a place like that. The water was so clean.
"I found paradise."
I stayed there for quite some time. I lay down under the tree and took a nap. Around two o'clock in the afternoon, I decided to go into the water.
It was a weekday and certainly no one would go there. Cielo said that it was very rare for anyone to bathe in the river, especially on weekdays, and that many had swimming pools on their properties. Thom was providing one.
I took off my tank top and was only in my top and jean shorts. I entered the water. Oh, it was great!
The sound of rustling tree leaves and the sound of water was all that could be heard. If I could, I would spend the whole day there, filling my lungs with the air of the region and enjoying the cool water.
I let go of my long hair and floated with my eyes closed. I moaned at the feel of the water on my skin.
“I should let the dogs out. That way, no one would trespass on the property.
The voice rang in my ears and soon a shiver ran through my body. Fright made me open my eyes quickly and turn towards that voice.
"My God! Oh my God!