CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE - COFFEE AND MEMORIES

Heloyse

At seven o'clock in the morning, I was being led by Calvin to Will's front door.
“I'm glad you're here.
“You must think I'm crazy for coming here after what happened. I never thanked him for that day.
- It is not necessary. And you're not crazy. Like I said, I'm glad you came. In fact, we are all grateful. Will was unbearable. More than usual.
"But I have nothing to do with...
“Oh, stop it. Who are you two kidding? And if you must know, my wife and I are very happy that you approached him.
He smiled and left, without even waiting for my answer.
Will greeted me at the door and led me into the living room, where coffee was being served.
"I hope I don't end my morning with my face drenched in juice," he said, smiling.
“Now it seems funny, but that day it wasn't. I left you...
— Forget it, Heloise. I should have guessed you would be uncomfortable with the subject. Sorry!
“No need to apologize.” I smiled.
"Shall we have coffee?"
He helped Eva by bringing a pitcher of juice and a thermos. He brought with her a basket of bread, a bottle of milk, a chocolate cake, eggs with bacon, toast and jam, pancakes...
The smell of that breakfast entered my nose and I couldn't resist. It all looked so delicious.
“I hope you like it, Lisy. I prepared them a little while ago. If you don't like it, I can prepare something else...
"No, you don't!" This is great. It looks delicious, thank you! I said to Eva.
- You don't need to say thank you! Eva flashed a smile and ran her hands over her apron, as if she were cleaning up some mess. — I'll be in the kitchen, if you need anything, just call.
- Thanks.
“And this time, eat something, William. I'm not going to waste my time cooking if you don't eat.
"I'm going to eat," he said a little shyly.
- I expect. You didn't even touch the food I left for you yesterday.
"But now I'm going to eat, aren't I?"
— If you don't eat, I won't even cook today. If you want to starve to death, say so.
"Eva... I just didn't eat yesterday." It's not like I go days without eating.
- Okay then. I won't worry anymore,” she said, her tone a little pissed off.
He got up, walked over to her and took her hand.
“I promise I'll eat, Mom,” he said quietly. "Don't be mad at me, okay?" He smiled and kissed her on the cheek.
"Mom?"
That took me by surprise.
She smiled and ran her hand over the top of his head.
"Then go eat." I'm going to make you some chili for lunch today.
She smiled, her face lighting up, and went into the kitchen.
When he approached, he was noticeably embarrassed and I couldn't control my curiosity.
- Mom? - I asked.
"She's like that," and he shrugged.
The mask of that handsome, strong man fell away and he emerged in its place, a haggard Will. In a matter of seconds, he donned his mask again and looked at me.
— Try the chocolate cake she made. You will like.
I put the piece of cake in my mouth and decided to leave the subject for another time.
- Is good? - He asked.
- A delight! I replied with my mouth still full, making Will smile.
Will watched me eat for a few seconds and then helped himself. It was wonderfully good to be in his company. A few days ago, I would never have thought this was possible. I wondered if that was the feeling you get when you sit down to breakfast with your spouse. If the feeling is of intimacy like the one I was feeling at that moment.
With Michael, it was different. We didn't have time, because he always left early for work and I was already at the cafeteria, getting everything ready to open.
I never imagined having a child in my house, however, in his company, I did. I wondered if it would be so wonderful to raise a child on such a farm. I looked at the door of the room and in my mind, I imagined a little boy with blond hair, entering and running through the room. The little hands going against the toast, making the biggest mess on the table.
My parents.
My God, how I missed it. Our mornings were like that. With the table full of things to eat. My mother made the best sweets. My dad had his coffee while he read the paper and Marcus... Marcus was everything to me. They were everything to me. I had a family... I already had something.
— Heloise? What's wrong with you?
- Nothing! - I said.
"Are you going to tell me why you got so distracted?"
- It was nothing.
— All right then –– and after a few seconds of silence, he said ––: Finish your coffee. You haven't even eaten half of half.
“Will, we need to talk. I am not...
“Not now, Lisy. We will talk later. I imagine what you want to talk about. I also thought about everything that has happened. We'll talk about that later.
I was anxious and nervous at the same time.
I ate some more until I was satisfied.
“I've never been in a house like this before. She is so beautiful.
- I also think. Do you want to see what she looks like?
- I would love.
He took my hand and took me around to see the rest of the house.
The kitchen was splendid. In addition to the well-decorated furniture, there were handcrafted objects. A lady cut vegetables, while Eva minced meat. The lady looked at us and smiled. In the other part, bottles with all kinds of spices, herbs and peppers. The decor was a bit reminiscent of those Mexican hacienda kitchens.
We saw the barbecue area and ahead, the lawn of a football field. I looked further and saw a large pool.
"Do you have parties here?"
— When I was a teenager, my grandfather used to throw parties. He was lonely on a daily basis, but he had friends who lived in the city, others on neighboring farms and some from far away. They came to visit my grandfather and he had a great barbecue. The farm's employees were always treated as friends too and participated in the barbecue as if they were family. Thom always came. Cielo helped in the kitchen and Martin and I went swimming in the river. Megan was young and she was looking for us like crazy while Martin was up to no good. A friend of my grandfather had two daughters our age. Martin and I teased them. Sometimes Martin would disappear with one of them.” He smiled a little thoughtfully.
— And when he disappeared, what were you doing with the other one?
— Well... She was just an acquaintance. Only that. She, like her sister, liked Martin too.
- Both? Nobody wanted it? Oh my God! You were ugly, weren't you? A pimply teenager with weird clothes and braces.
He looked at me sideways and smiled.
“Martin was a lot of fun. He made friends easily and always managed to make us laugh. I, unlike him, was never one to make friends. I'm not the extroverted type. So much so that, after my grandfather died, I no longer held barbecues or invited his friends to visit. They were my grandfather's friends, not mine. My only friend was Martin. Sometimes some of them call, asking about Calvin and Eva, asking if I'm okay, but I'm not interested in seeing them. The only family I'm really friends with are the Ferrels. The rest are mere acquaintances.
“Why do you walk away?
He ignored my question and walked ahead of me.
- Let's go! I'll show you the rest.
The house was very big. The carved wood floor gleamed so brightly, I could see my reflection. The bedrooms had lace curtains that matched the bed coverings. Everything is very clean and cozy. The room furniture was old and beautiful. Decorative objects boasted beauty and luxury. In Will's room, the bed had a canopy and big windows covered with pretty curtains. A fireplace and a huge burgundy rug gave the room a sophisticated feel. What broke the old style was the TV on a panel. Even the office where Will handled the farm's accounts was somehow elegant. All in dark wood. A large window with curtains softened the environment. A large leather sofa was accompanied by two armchairs forming a set.
We go down the stairs and go through the room. Two maids passed by greeting us.
We walked down the hall and Will opened a door up ahead. We went outside and there was a large courtyard with walls lined with stones. A fountain in the center of the courtyard had a swan pouring water from its spout. Around the entire courtyard, beautiful plants climbed the walls in great harmony. Just ahead, a cover, where pieces of wood formed a pile and beside it, an ax was leaning against the wall.
— I like food cooked on a wood stove. And with the storms we have, I like to light the fire on these occasions. Eva said I should put in electric fireplaces. I put it in the guest rooms, but not mine and the living room. I prefer firewood. I like to preserve old things. It feels cozy, don't you think?
- Yes I think. Your room and the patio were the places I liked the most in the house. It's all very beautiful here, Will.
- And yes. The first time I came here, I thought it was the most beautiful place on earth. All that grass, the river, the animals, none of it felt real. That's why I wanted to show you. Maybe you could feel what I felt.
"Didn't you always live here on the farm?"
"No," he answered me. - Lets go in?
He held my hand and led me into the living room. There, he indicated the couch for me to sit too.
- Where you lived?
He tossed his hair back and took a deep breath.