CHAPTER FIVE- SHARING PAINS

Heloyse

A light made the darkness disappear and soon, I opened and closed my eyes in an attempt to lessen the discomfort. I woke up with a huge headache, eyes heavy, legs locked and body aching.

It was after two in the afternoon.
Sure enough, Ashley had tucked me into bed last night, closed the door, and locked it underneath.

I got up scowling. I heard a noise in the house and realized that Margot was cleaning. She had the copy of the key.
I took a shower, brushed my teeth, combed my hair and that's when I felt hunger taking over me.

Margot was a strong woman, her skin very fair and her cheekbones very red, which matched her sharp nose, which were also red. She had blonde hair mixed with white, small stature and a very calm look.

After I finished my things, she came into my room picking up the clothes I had left all week on the floor. She picked it up at the same time as she frowned at me.

"Good morning, Lisy!"

“Good morning, Margot. And thank you... I know the house is a dump..."

"Yes, it is!"

"I'll pay you double, so..."

“I don't care much for your money. I would come here whether you asked me or not, even if I didn't have a dime in my pocket."

I crossed my arms and frowned at his behavior. She was always so kind to me. I don't recall ever doing anything that made her angry.

"Why are you mad?"

She stopped in front of me and sighed. She sat on my bed and indicated with her hand that I should do the same.

“I'm not angry, Lisy, I'm not pleased. I looked for food in your pantry and there's nothing. Just a bag of bread, half a jar of jam, the house is a mess... What about those sleeping pills on top of the cupboard? What's happening? Do you want to end up isolating yourself from the world? You look awful, you've lost a few pounds I think."

“Margot, I...”

“Lisy, what you need is to get out for a bit. Go get your hair done, buy some clothes, go out to lunch, meet new people. I'm sure Michael would want that."

“Michael doesn't care about me. No longer!"

“You're not the first and you're not the last to go through this. Michael was always a good guy and it was very easy to fall in love with him. Things like that happen all the time. It's going to hurt now and nothing I or anyone else says will help, I know. But locking yourself in here won't help either. Put that in your head. He's living, isn't he? So why do you want to give up?"

My tears started to fall and Margot hugged me.

"I didn't mean to make you cry," she said as she looked down at the floor. "The year before last, when I was widowed, I thought it was over. With Mandy and Adrian living far away, everything was harder. I felt alone."

"I imagine."

“George and I were married for forty-two years. Suddenly he decided to die and leave me. Imagine how I felt. My kids want me to move in with them, but I'm used to living here.” His eyes were filled with sadness. — "You, my beautiful, have a lot of time and a lot to do in this life. But I don't. Old age doesn't allow me to have much time and yet I fight every day not to let the pain consume me. I had I lost the man I slept with for forty-two years. I'll never see him or hug him again. I won't hear him say 'I love you'. I won't sit in my chair and feel him put his hand on me. mine."

“I'm so sorry, Margot, for your pain."

" Thanks!"

"I do not know what to do. My parents, my brother, Michael... Everyone decided to abandon me. I'm feeling lonely. Everyone leaves at some point."

“You'll get over it. Believe it!"

" Maybe!" I took a deep breath and got up. "Until then, I don't know what to do," I said, rubbing my hands across my eyes.

- I know. Come on, put on something else and let's go buy something to make some good food for you."

I smiled and did as she suggested.