CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX- SOME SURPRISES

Heloyse

“Before I came to the farm, I lived in Green Park, right here in Texas. It was me, my mother and the…” He frowned as if he was choosing words, “my father. Our house was on the side of the Mitchell house - Will took a deep breath as if some scene was going on in his head. “After my mother died, they took care of me.
- They? But, what about your father?
He crossed his arms and looked at me for a few seconds before answering.
"My..." he said again, frowning, "he was in no condition to be with me." And after a few years, he died.
- Oh, I'm sorry.
- It was a long time.
“Still, I know you must have suffered a lot.
He nodded slowly.
"But did Calvin and Eva take care of you when your grandfather came looking for you?"
“Wallace O'Connor, he wasn't really my grandfather. In fact, before my parents died, I didn't even know who he was.
- Not? But then...? Then why are you called O'Connor? How did you inherit everything from him? — I was quite surprised by what Will said and then I regretted it and was shy in the face of my curiosity. "Oh my God, I'm sorry!" That's not my business.
“Everyone here knows I'm his adopted son. There was a period when the bank took our house and put it up for sale. I didn't know my mother's relatives. She wasn't born in Texas. My mother was born in Los Angeles. She met her husband there, when he was traveling around working on construction sites. He was born here in Texas and my mom came to live with him. As far as I know, my mother broke off contact with her relatives. My paternal grandfather didn't get along with his son... My father... —she said while rubbing her hands on the fabric of her jeans — And, he had problems with the law. Which was a relief, because I didn't have to live with him.' Will paused, then continued. "And neither did he want me." But anyway, my biological grandfather died too. I found out when I was sixteen. In short, I didn't have anyone else who was family,
"How old were you when you were adopted?"
- Fourteen.
"Why didn't the Mitchells adopt him?" And how did you live with them if they weren't your family?
“Eva worked cleaning at the mayor's house and he helped by getting permission for them to stay with me, so I didn't have to go to an orphanage. At that time I was eight years old. My father hadn't died yet and the law wouldn't allow me to keep him. Besides, he was missing. So the condition was that I stay with them until someone adopts me. They wanted to adopt me, but they always give preference to those who are better able to take care of a child. Their financial condition at the time did not contribute to this happening. And some time later, Wallace adopted me.
"Didn't he have kids?"
“I had two. Richard stepped on a mine when he was in the army. He was a Marine. Ruth then burned to death on an oil rig. Wallace never understood his children. They lived and worked like simple people, even though they knew they had a fortune to enjoy. When his children were young, his wife died of lung cancer. After years of solitude, he decided to adopt a child — I continued to listen intently. “We both lost the most important people in our lives. He understood me. As soon as he adopted me, he employed Eva and Calvin and we all moved in here.
“So if you see the Mitchells as your parents, why do you keep them working?
--Actually, Calvin wanted to work here. Wallace offered them a house, a vehicle and many other things, however, they did not accept. They would only accept it if they worked. After Wallace died, I asked them to stop working, but they refused. Eva says this is a way to take care of me. In fact, she manages my house. And Calvin loves what he does. He can't stay away from it.
“I'm surprised by everything. Did you really see Wallace as your grandfather?
'No money in the world would pay for what he's done for me.' Sometimes I look over to that armchair and see him, smoking his pipe while listening to music on his battery operated radio. He was a good man. His goodness was infinite and that made me think of him more every day. I look at this farm like I've been here forever. I love this place and this was only possible thanks to him. And I would give anything to have my grandfather here with me.
I sat down next to him and watched his lost gaze, looking at the armchair. He was lost somewhere in his memories.
I put my hand over his and that's when he noticed I had approached. He stood motionless watching my hand over his.
"You call Eva Mother," I commented.
- Sometimes yes.
“Why don't you call Calvin Dad, or even Wallace?
I saw his jaw tighten. Will got up quickly.
“I…” He ran his hand over his lips in a nervous gesture. “I think I've said too much. I cannot continue with this matter.
I continued to sit. I didn't understand why he had changed all of a sudden.
- Forgive me...
— No... I apologize. I just don't want to talk about it.
–– I understand, Will. Okay,” I said, getting up. - I'm leaving...
He came closer, took my face in both hands and kissed me. The kiss was moderate, yet it ignited all the desire in me. I took the opportunity to do what I wanted most. I ran my hand through his soft hair. He stopped kissing me and buried his nose in my hair, sucking in all the air.
“You smell good, sunshine.
“Why do you call me sunshine?”
“Because you are one. That simple.
He returned his attention to my lips and kissed me again. Minutes later, we were catching our breath.
"I still want to take you to see the farm." His voice was low and breathless.
I just shook my head.

***

Will took me to the stable and saddled Diamante, then helped me up onto the horse.
As we made our way through the property, we remained silent, enjoying our bodies pressed together. I was sitting across from him, my head resting on his chest. The feeling was intimate. We looked like a couple of lovers, doing routine things.
He took me to see the cattle. There were countless oxen running while in the distance, eight men on their horses surrounded them. There was also a group of border collie dogs who jumped up and down happily when Will approached. Sony, that dog that scared me by the barn, came running up to him.
We petted him, then got back on the horse. Will told about the big tournaments he played in Dallas. He spoke of the prizes he won, both with Diamante and Emperor, the horse I saw him training at the stud farm.
While we were talking, we passed near an orchard and in the distance, I saw an immensity of land. It seemed like there was no end. A patch of land looked as if it had been painted lilac by planting lavender.
–– Do you have a farm or a small country?
- Almost that. It is two thousand ninety-eight square kilometers and extends over almost seven counties.
- You are kidding? This is land to never end. So you're a filthy rich cowboy farmer who dresses like he can't afford T-shirts that aren't faded?
— What did you want, Heloyse? That I put on a tie to touch the cattle? - he laughed. I smiled and continued to listen to everything he said. “Here we have two main compounds”—he pointed to the south side—“seven thousand one hundred and forty head of cattle. Hundreds of houses, twenty-three cowboy barracks' - he pointed in the other direction - 'warehouses, five hundred and twenty quarter horses, plus wild horses, appallosa and paint horses. Fourteen thousand hectares of cultivated area, more than a thousand oil wells, a fauna that includes waterfowl, deer, wild boars and other animals. It has cotton plantations, lavender, this river, lakes, streams and undeveloped acres.
- Oh my! Do you give me time to process? I'm trying to assess which countries fit here.
He chuckled and guided the horse back to the stable. The day was quietly fine and I hoped it would stay that way.
Arriving at the stable, someone was waiting for Will.
I tensed and saw that he was too.