Nickolas the Renegade

Dec 24, 2023. Floor 49:Mugien

The Christmas event is happening, Christmas lights strung up all over town and even a gigantic glowing Christmas tree. People walk around laughing and shopping, as the snow slowly falls down. I sit on a bench waiting for my info broker to show.

"I hear someone has been taking risks with their level raising." She says standing behind me.

"Got any new info or what?" I ask her coldly.

"Nothing worth charging you money for." She says.

"You are a terrible info broker." I say.

"Hey! This Christmas event wasn't in the beta so how am I supposed to know what happens. All I know is tonight on Christmas eve, an event box will appear. Its called Nicolas the renegade, it will show up under a random fur tree somewhere. The big guilds are searching everywhere for it, but no luck so far." She says.

I stand up off my bench.

"Hmmm. You wouldn't happen to know where it is would you?" she says.

"Maybe." I say and I start to walk away.

"Are you thinking of going solo on this?!" she says, but I keep walking.

Back in my room in the tavern, plain and empty except for my bed, a desk, and a single pillow.

In this world the dead can never return to life. I heard a rumor though... If you beat Nicholas the Renegade. He'll drop an item that can revive a dead player. I'm going alone and will probably die alone. No one will see me, no one will know, nothing will be left behind... that's how I deserve to die.

"You're a beater?!" Nico says clutching the keys to our new house. "You had no right to be with us!" he gets up on the ledge, I reach out and try to grab him...but he leans forward and falls to his death.

That's right...it's all my fault. My arrogance killed you...all of you. If only I hadn't kept my true level a secret from everyone.

Floor 35, Forest Maze.

Nothing but snow and trees stretching until I cant see anymore. Its also snowing hard and night, so I cant see much at all. I trudge through the snowy woods.

I have to figure out a way to beat Nickolas, then I can revie Rachel... then I can find out what she was trying to tell me. If it turns out she was cursing me, fine I accept it.

A glowing light starts to shine in front of me, I sprint into it and go through a hidden portal. A humongous fir tree off in the distance, I know this has to be it. I start to race to it, but someone came onto the portal behind me. I stop and watch the party shimmer in front of me. Grover, and his guild standing behind him. All clad in red samurai style armors.

"Wassup." Grover says nonchalantly.

"You followed me?" I says to him flatly.

"Of course, your after the revival item arnt you?" He says.

"Yeah." I say.

"Don't be risking your life for some rumor that can turn out to be bogus. Man, you can't be messing around in this death game. Once your Hp hits zero that's it, irl your brain gets fried-"

"Shut up." I interrupt him coldly.

"I'm trying to get you to stop with all your stupid soloing! Come on join with us, whoever gets the drop keeps it... no hard feelings. That's fair isn't it?" Grover says.

"But then there'd be no point." I reach to my back and grab the hilt to my sword. "I have to do this...Alone."

Grover's guild pulls their weapons up, but he stands them down. "Think about what you're doing Percy, it's suicide and I cant let you die like that!"

Just as he finishes a huge group of players spawn behind him. Grover and his group back up to me and ready their weapons facing them. "It's the New Rome Legionaries, they'll do anything for a rare item... no mater how shady." A guy in Grover's group says.

"Screw these guys! Get out of her Percy!" Grover pulls out his katana.

"No way." I say.

"We can hold them off... get going!" Grover says.

I turn and sprint to the tree, the clashing of swords and echoes of screams fade as I run. I reach the huge tree, the thick trunk emitting a faint blue glow. A loud bell rings three times, sleigh bells start jingling merrily. Two streaks of light in the sky like tire tracks show up, and a giant demonic looking Santa crash lands in front of me.

His body creaks and clanks, almost like he's a windup toy. He plops down his big red sack. "HO...HO...HO..." blares from his mouth like a tornado siren. He reaches into the sack and pulls out a giant axe.

"Lets do this." I pull out my sword and charge at the merrily giant baring my teeth. "AHHHHHHHHH!"