Chapter 1 Part 3- Roped Up in a Killing Game

Start from the beginning

"O- okay..." I said. He could probably tell that I was still horrified. Maybe he was still trying to make me not afraid, so when I died I wouldn't be terrified. But... maybe he really did just need me to help him out. To make sure no one wanted to kill him.

We stood there for who knows how long. Every second that went by was absolutely horrific. And heat I just stood there with him. But nothing changed. Had the supposed person abandoned their operation? Suddenly, the monitor turned on.

"H- hello everyone. This is a f- formal announcement. It is 10 p- pm. It is officially n- nighttime. Sleep well e- everyone!" Araigu said, before the monitor turned off.

"Uh, I don't know if they're coming." He said, looking me dead in the eyes. This was it. This was how I died. He was going to pull out a knife, and plunge it into my chest. "Let's just go back to our rooms. Sorry I brought you here for nothing." He began walking out of the room, straight past me. I stood there, mouth agape. So... my worries we're for nothing. I put myself through psychological torture for no reason. I felt the tears begin to roll down my face, as I slowly turned around.

I followed behind him, wiping the tears from my eyes. I shouldn't have been so paranoid. He wasn't going to do anything. He just trusted me to come with him. And I didn't even think twice about the idea that he would kill me. I'm such an idiot. Suddenly, I bumped into someone. I screamed out, as I fell to the floor.

"You don't have to scream you know... it's rude to greet people like that." Yamazaki said. I stared up at him, sweat running down my face. He looked over, the sound of running footsteps down the hallway.

"HEY!!! GET AWAY FROM HER!!!" Kawata yelled. Yamazaki stood there, entirely unfazed.

"I'm not trying to kill her if that's what you're thinking. I was just walking, and she bumped into me. Stop jumping to conclusions." He said, reaching a hand out to me. Many others rounded looking to me with concern. I paused, before taking his palm, and standing up. "Now get out of here. I don't want to see either of your faces." He began walking away, disappearing down a different hallway. I looked to Kawata, as he stared, sweat dripping down his face. Arima, Otani, Miyazaki and Morita could only stand there and be shocked. I looked to them, giving them all a small smile. They all looked to each other, not saying a word, and wandered away.

"S- so, nothing happened?" He asked. I nodded, being a little embarrassed by that comment.

"I- I'm sorry... I was just r- really scared..." I said. He gave a weak smile.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have made you come with me. Next time, I'll ask someone else." He replied. I stared at the floor for a moment.

"N- no... it's okay... I kn- know now that everything was o- okay." I responded. I looked up to him, and smiled. "I- I'm just glad you t- trusted me." He grinned in response.

"Well, let's get back to our rooms. The atmosphere at night is really degrading..." he said, walking me back to my room. I started wandering back inside. "Oh, hey, Hirano?" He said, stopping me just before I closed the door. I looked at him.

"W- what is it?" I asked. He stared at the floor for another moment.

"I wasn't trying to kill you. I know that's why you were so scared. I was also a bit scared that you were the person who called me there. But I trust you." He said, a warm smile on his face. "Have a good night. I'll see you in the morning." He closed the door on his own, accidentally leaving the slightest bit open.

I listened to him walk down the hall and open his own door. Then, it closed. Slowly, I pulled the door closed and put in the lock. He knew what I was thinking. He knew that I thought he was a killer. I should've trusted him. He tried to protect me when he thought Yamazaki was a killer. And I treated him as if he was a murder. Maybe it was what Taguchi said. What he had said had created doubt in my mind. One that plagued my judgement.

That was it. I'm not going to be afraid anymore. I've spent my entire life afraid of other people. I'm not going to be that person anymore. I'm going to trust others. I'm going to trust myself. I'm going to make sure that I don't have any more doubts about myself. If I die, I want to be someone I'm proud of.

I took out a sticky note, and pulled the fountain pen out from the drawer. I quickly jotted down a note, and stuck it on my door. I smiled, before taking off my shoes and socks and jumping into bed.

Be the best you you can be.
Make every day count.
Be the change this school needs.
Die a proud person.

Words: 1606