20.

i stayed with mom the rest of the night. the boys came in early morning to make sure everything was still going smoothly.

"you can be discharged in the next couple days if everything continues moving smoothly." luke smiled as he stood by the edge of the bed.

"perfect! i'll start looking for a hote- "hell no. just live with us for the time being." luke suggested.

"i could never. indigo and i have taken so much for free from you. you don't owe us." mom spoke as she smiled up at luke.

"don't worry about it. it's just until you get back up and can make money on your own." luke spoke with a tiny smile.

"he's not that bad mom." i added softly.

mom stared at me and slowly nodded, "fine."

the next couple days went by quickly and mom was looking better as each day went by.

i didn't have a good feeling about mom and luke living together, but what does my opinion matter anyways.

mom finally changed out of hospital clothes and looked happier than ever.

"are you excited to go home?" i asked with a smile.

"more than excited. i'll start job searching as soon as we arrive." mom replied as she placed all of her belongings in a bag.

ashton was the only one not busy so he offered to drive us both back to the house.

we arrived and mom was absolutely shocked just like i was at the size.

"it's huge right?" i whispered as the car parked.

mom nodded in agreement before hopping out and following behind ashton and i.

ashton led us up to the last empty room they had before turning around, "i do need to head back to work, call any of us if anything happens."

i nodded and hugged him goodbye before sitting down on the bed with mom.

"you look sad." i whispered after a minute of silence.

"i'm not sad, more nostalgic. i miss your father. i know we argued, but i miss him a lot indigo." mom replied softly.

my biggest fear. i don't think mom could handle another break from him.

"i don't really know what to say." i spoke awkwardly.

"there's nothing to say. he left and i just need to get over it again. moving here is just detrimental to my progress." mom sighed before standing up to put her stuff in the drawers.

"he's not that bad though. i know he hurt us, but he's not that bad of a person." i spoke as i stood up.

"you didn't know him back then honey. he's grown up a lot." mom spoke stiffly as she went into the bathroom.

"you're going to be okay right? i don't have anything to worry about like last time he was involved." i spoke as i followed her to the restroom.

mom froze and glared up at me. "i don't know what the hell you're implying, but you better not be implying that."

"i just w- "it's not your fucking business indigo. just leave please." mom spoke firmly as she pointed to the door.

i was shocked she would talk to me like that. i slowly turned around and walked away without another word.

i went into my room and sat on the bed. midnight came running in and jumped into my arms.

"hello baby." i whispered as i held him close.

the reason i was worried was because mom struggled in the past. she dabbled with self harm and other self destructive behaviors when luke left.

i was the one who cleaned her arms and told her it was going to be okay at 3am. i was also only 14 years old.

it's no wonder she's so resistant to my mental health. she doesn't want me to end up like her.

i didn't realize i was staring out in blankly until mom knocked on the door softly.

"i'm sorry, what i said was harsh. i'm doing okay baby, just stressed." mom spoke softly from behind the door.

i walked over with midnight in my arms and opened it slowly.

"i know, it's okay." i smiled softly as i gave her a hug.

"oh my, you kept him." mom smiled brightly as she held out her hands to hold midnight.

"he's so much bigger!" she added as she held him close.

i nodded in agreement as we walked down the stairs together.

"might as well start to cook dinner. it's the least we can do for living here on no rent." mom spoke as she tied her hair up.

i nodded and tied mine up as well.

moving in with luke was either going to be the best decision of our lives or the worst decision of our lives.