Chapter 13

' Hey .' I say with a smile stretching across my face. My eyes are still closed from what should have been a good night's sleep.

' How did you know it was me?' Asks Sammy softly. Even with my eyes closed I know she is smiling brightly, dimples and all.

' I just know.' I reply finally opening my eyes and try to sit up.

A-7  did quite a number on me , the stab wound still hurts but then again it has been only a few hours.

' Are you sure you should be sitting up so soon?' Sammy sits next to my bed and places a protective hand on my shoulder.

I can't help but smile at her concern. She is adorable and everything about her let's me in , everything I would have avoided in my previous life that made me run into the direction of women like Shannon, women I knew I had no future with and would never miss. That was then and this is now , now I have no life so I don't find the need to run from Sammy.

' I've been through worse.' I smile. ' How's Shannon?'

' Resting. Rodrigo is guarding her like a watchdog.'

' Poor thing.' I sympathize.

' Maybe one day...I mean you never know.'

I shake my head vigorously, ' No, his completely friend zoned, poor thing. He ain't her type , he is too nice and safe while she's an Alpha female and she likes them dangerous and challenging .'

' Just like you.' She observes and I sense insecurity, ' And what's your type?'

' Hmmm.' I kiss her to remove whatever thoughts of Shannon that threaten her for a few good seconds . ' Shannon was an attraction , beautiful , daring and mysterious . A challenge if you please but I prefer you.'

' And I prefer you too.'  She smiles. ' You know she's not safe here right ? They may have assisted us in saving Shannon but the foreign Tribunes are still Tribunes and they want her and your children...'

I withdraw my head away from hers and let out a bitter laugh.

' Did Louise put you up to this?'

' Geez , Marvin you wound me . I am warning you because I actually care for you and you obviously care for Shannon because she is now the only real family you have but you are searching for an excuse not to let your guard down around me because your so used to being on your own.'

I can't deny that.

' Look it's true Louise wanted me to tell you this but only because I'm the only person besides David she thought you would listen to.'

' Fine I'm listening.' I sit up straight with my arms crossed.

There it was the whole narration of the plot that made the Liberators suspicious. In the short hours I have being resting and recuperating from my stab wound , a live broadcast as been sent out of the kidnapping of the First Daughter Veronica , the First Son Christian is in hospital after a gunshot and now there is news of an attempted assassination of the President by a radical terrorist identified as me in the afternoon when I was nowhere near the Presidential resident.

' What bothered Louise and David was why they never mentioned the kidnapping of a pregnant Bearer and then we realized the Rogers obviously don't want every powerful plutocrat to come after her and while it is true you shot Christian , it was Phillips who took Veronica Rogers.
' David thinks it was under the orders of the British Tribune. If his theory is right, while we were busy rescuing the pregnant princess another British spy we knew nothing of tried to assassinate President Rogers. The British Tribune will have Phillips clean house by eliminating anyone who can be connected back to them , you know tying up loose ends and get Shannon and make themselves the greatest Tribune with no rival and of course all these will be framed on you.'

It made perfect sense , I of all people know how game of politics and power works . I was the one that removed obstacles and I know better than to think I am worth a damn but for some reason beyond me I am hurt.

' We need to get  Shannon out of here now.' I jump out of bed , put on my shirt quickly over my vest and took out my glock from my bedside table drawer.

' Let her rest she's been through so much today and right now she is big with three babies can't be easy being that swollen and having to be moved around and you also need to rest and recover. In the morning Louise , David and Vanderbilt will think of something ....'

' In the morning Shannon will be gone and we will all be dead. If I were Gordon Phillips I would be up right now when everyone is resting from today's activities and I am recuperating from my injuries because come tomorrow I wouldn't let Shannon out of my sight.' After I say this I walk out of my room without waiting for Sammy's response but in a few minutes I hear her footsteps slowly following me behind and I hear her pull out her own glock.

I slowly approach Shannon's room and I notice her door ajar. I glance back at Sammy and she nods her head  ready to engage . I take one more step and the next thing I know I am falling to the ground after been hit with something hard in the stomach.

Sammy nearly shoots the person who hit me but quickly aims at theperson behind my assailant.

' Oh my goodness!' Tried out a terrified Shannon holding a baseball bat. ' I thought it was...I actually I don't know what I thought...'

'Stop apologizing his fine!' Yells Sammy as she keeps shooting at Kim Tae-Won. ' Get up damnit and get her out of her.'

I get up and not only see Tae-Won taking cover behind,a table but Kelly Appiah is also fighting Gordon Phillips with daggers and all. Looks like everyone had a mission to help me get Shannon from the Rogers so they could get her from me and take her to their own Tribune.

' You get her out of her Sammy, I'll take care of these guys.'

' I can  handle them.'

' You are a rebel and we are government assassins. We have killed more people than you know, trust me you can't handle it.'

She hesitates then nods, ' Come let's go.'  I watch her lead Shannon away at a pace you can say is as fast as Shannon can go and that is not saying much.

Tae-Won comes quickly nearly as fast as  A-7 but I catch her by the neck , lifting her body up I violently throw her across the hall and she hits her head against the wall.

Spitting blood out of her mouth she gets on her feet and comes in kicks so fast as I try to block one leg , the other comes . Oh , I hate martial arts but like I said earlier I am good at what I do and I'm the best . I let her keep coming fast and hard , tiring her out slightly . No matter how professional we are and used to fighting we all need to breathe a little and in that moment of weakness I give her an uppercut on her chin and as she loses slight balance I pick her up , light as a feather and throw her over the stairs. Next thing I see is where she landed on the floor splattered with blood , brain matter and a body full of broken bones. Did I mention this is a four storey mansion?

I enter the room as Appiah slits Phillips throat . She smiles at me and when I run towardsher , she heads for the window and jumps out of it. I run to the window just in time to see her land on her feet at the bottom and then she unfastens an electric cable attached to both the bottom of the windowsill and a belt on her waist. She blows me a kiss and her athletic physique , dark radiant skin , sharp cheekbones and short natural hair disappears.

I hear footsteps entering the room fast and I quickly turn to face the intruder ready to attack.

' It's you thank goodness.' Louise sounds breathless with a machine gun in her hand. Then I hear all the commotion. ' We have to go now before the authorities come. I'm glad you're alive . I thought you were dead.'

' I'm not easy to kill.'

' I'll remember that.'

We reach the garage and a can door is opened for Louise and I.

' Shannon and Sammy?'

' They are fine. ' Louise said entering the can. ' Sammy told me to get you. I have her the location of the safe house we are headed. Get in we have to go.'

I enter but I don't see David or his wife maybe they are in the other vans.

' David and Sarah?'

Silence.

' Louise?'

' I'm sorry....'

I don't listen to anything else she says. All I know is they were my parents after I lost mine,and they now dead because of me , because I met a woman.