Chapter 2

Three months later…

I wait for my handler , David James , I also found it strange he has two first biblical names as his first and last names.

He is the only contact I have to the Tribune or the agency I was recruited in . I immediately remember how he found me with no place left to go when I was ten and gave me a home , well his idea of giving a child a home is turning them into a killer.

He is not too far from our meeting place in the park , I am amused . He is always trying to sneak up on me but I know his footsteps. As soon as he reaches the bench I am sitting on I say out his name and imagine the sheer disappointed look on his face after his prank failed.

' How do you always know it’s me.' The gray elderly man circles around and takes a sit besides me.

' I wouldn’t be of use to you if I can’t concentrate on my surroundings.' I grin.

' How have you been since the last assignment ?'

' Laying low . ' I look ahead and see a suffering mother trying to control her toddler , ' As usual .' Why do people want children , I wonder?

' I have got you a new assignment.'

' Hmmmm.'

' A package needed by the Tribune from a smuggler coming from the European continent.'

Strange how the Tribune are dealing with illegal smugglers they promised their citizens to squash years ago. Aren’t this the dealings that caused the nuclear war?

I don’t voice my question it’s not my job . I simply gesture my hand for the envelope which he gives me.

It’s a picture of a redhead woman and the device , a black sleek box and I know what I should do . Retrieve the package and get rid of the courier. If the Tribune wanted her alive then they wouldn't send a $30 million hitman to simply collect the object.

' When ?'

' Next week Thursday at 10:30 before she enters our borders through the eastern gate.'

' Done.' I get up as that concludes business and head home .

---------------------------------------------------------

After an intense workout in my home based gym , I make my way to my room for a shower feeling indifferent to the day. I don’t do much when I don’t have a job , no I can’t do much during the day . Strict instructions to stay completely off grid and it is only in the evening when I go to the bar that I get out.

I remember a time I played outside in the sun with my mom. She may not have been the best bicycle teacher but she was one hell of a soccer mum. How she wanted me to be a lawyer…..

Knock, knock, knock..

I never have visitors as no one knows me well enough to drop by or knock on my door not even the landlord. I never cause a fuss , like I said  off grid.

Knock , knock , knock…

It began to feel like banging on the door , I slowly and quietly walk across the room to the kitchen and in the cupboard with the China sets I take out a glock from behind the dinner plates and approach the door cautiously.

On the screen of my door’s surveillance I see the girl from three months ago . The girl ? No , I remember her name. They taught me to have a good memory , it’s Shannon.

Letting her in would complicate my life so I should just leave her out there . I was about to walk away then I noticed her tense body language and the way she kept looking around her surroundings . She’s afraid of something . She looked polished the last time I saw her and she was an exceptional conservationist making it evident that she had a learned background.