Chapter 1

I'm sitting outside by the rooftop of a skyscraper with my equipment setup on the ledge facing the precise angle to target my mark.

Just another day at work. I am not told why and I don't ask questions , I'm a good soldier and I do as I am told.

I watch four black SUV pulling over at the entrance of the opposite building and then I see him , the target getting out with an escort of about fifteen strong men. Yeah , it's him short , balding middle-aged man with brown hair or what's left of it , in a black suit that does nothing for his slight frame. I'm not even curious as to what he did to piss off the Tribune I just know he has got to go. As he reaches the door I take my shot and watch him drop dead.

Certain he is dead I pack up my equipment in a blink of an eye as I literally have three minutes to exit the building before his escort arrive. I don't stress, I am good at what I do. Trained by the very best.

I run down the stairs and make sure to avoid elevators with surveillance cameras or corridors and I make it to the ground floor. Blending in with the cleaning stuff in a janitors attire I stole earlier I walk right past the authorities before they seal the building exits.

I make a very short walk around the block and get into my black bullet-proof sports car I parked in the alley and drive away.

I can't help but smirk at the fact that no one has ever caught me in ten years. I leave nothing for the authorities to work with other than a weapon with no trace and a dead body. Yeah , that's right I'm good at what I do.

---------------------------------------------------------

I drain the last contents of my whisky and take a deep breath.

My weapons are secured back at my apartment and I'm wasting away at night at a local bar. I do this a lot drink alone and people watch. I don't do friendships or relationships of any kind , maybe a one night stand every once in a while but nothing that causes entanglement or complicates my uncomplicated life.

I do like to watch people flirt and drink , dance and drink or break up , hook up and drink during the night life . It is I guess the closest thing I have to human experience.

I close my eyes and remember my father , he was tall and bald with dark chocolate brown skin very handsome and taught me how to ride a bike. I remember my mother with her blonde hair , green eyes and motherly figure smiling at the both of us....

' Is this seat taken?' A gentle female voice brings me back to reality.

Looking up I take note of the slender statuesque woman who looks around thirty and tall enough to reach my shoulders which is saying something because I really am tall and always a shoulder over everyone I'm in a room with . She's gorgeous , black with a light brown skin , her black curly afro hair shaped like a halo with a graceful oval face.

' Yes. ' I reply. I'm in no mood of company , not tonight.

' I have been watching for a good hour, if the sit has been taken then you definitely got stood up either that or you are feeling lonely but too proud to admit it.'

' Definitely the latter.'

' No , I think not. ' She pulls out the chair and sits. ' I think you want to be alone.'

' I never told you to sit.' I say rudely.

She smirks , ' I never needed your permission.'

I am taken aback by her boldness and now she has my attention , I study her profile better she has sparkling dark eyes and thick lips painted a faint purple. Her make up is not overt and she looks elegant in her short sheath black dress. She seems to have stuck to the rules of leaving- them- wanting -more by covering her entire upper body with a polo neck and long sleeve dress that is very short leaving her endless long legs on display.

' Are you done scrutinizing my appearance?' She smiles amused. ' I hope you approve.'

I nod , ' I do .'

' I'm Shannon.'

I hesitate.

' It's ok , no need for names we probably won't meet again.' She smiles seductively.

' And you are fine with that ? ' I ask.

' If I was looking for a husband the last place I would pick him up is in a bar.' She laughs softly. ' You have beautiful eyes. Striking to say the least.

' Thank you.' Now it's my turn to smile.

They are my mother's light green eyes. The combination of my very light caramel skin, black shaven hair and dark rough shave together with my black features sets my light eyes off to a striking hypnotic look. I'm told they are my best features and tonight I know I am taking Shannon home. Besides she won't be my first one night stand.