Chapter 3

I open the front gate to a rundown warehouse two hours from my apartment and I gesture for her to drive the car in. After securing the gates I open the door to the warehouse sweeping the area with my gun in my hand.

When I am satisfied I lead her upstairs to a room with a bed. It’s a safe house.

' You can relax , eat and take a shower or something ,' I say and have to admit that I’m not good at reassuring people since I’m always the danger. ' You’re safe here.'

Shannon let’s out an ironic laugh , ' Safe from what you? Who are you?'

' I can’t tell you that.'

' Really ? You are telling I’m safe after killing a few strong , healthy men who look like bouncers in one go and then taking me to a remote place that looks like a butcher place for a mob gang minus the freezer room in the back full of meat then you say , “ I can’t tell you that” .' She dramatically throws her hands in the air in disbelief , ' Do you know what you sound like right now ?'

' No . ' I lie .

' Like a killer in a assassin movie or a spy in a spy movie which is almost the same thing .'

' I don’t think so , ' I lie . ' You watch too many movies that’s fiction and not reality . The Tribune got rid of such organizations in the beginning.'

' Please , don’t insult my intelligence , ' Shannon looks at me with wounded eyes. ' Did I mention I’m a lawyer . I pick on things and no country operates without intelligence and politicians lie . I would know I defended some clients against authorities and somehow despite obvious innocence or signs of definite setups , I always lost my cases .'

' Maybe you are a terrible lawyer.'  I shrug .

' Maybe you’re right and that would explain why evidence from nowhere kept popping up with obscene new convictions , that and why I lost some cases by default when my clients ended up dead in a shower accident , armed robbery or car accidents. I think you get the picture. Who the hell are you ?'

' My identity didn’t bother you the first time .' I turn to leave the room , ' let’s keep it that way.'

' They called you T-23. ' I stop at the door immediately , ' That’s a codename so you work for an agency or whatever you call your dodgy underground organizations .'

I walk up to her till I am too close for her comfort and I can feel her body's heat . My eyes must be as terrifying as I want them to be for Shannon stumbled when she tried to take a step back but I quickly caught her with my right hand and squeezed her arm slightly but painfully enough for her to get the message .

' Take care , Shannon, ' I lean in to whisper in her ears , ' if I am what you suspect and I work for what you suspect , then suspect this. You are a witness and your suspicions are ruining so like any other whistleblower or your clients , you will also be suspiciously silenced.' I let go of her arm and walk out of the room.

After taking a shower I notice one of my burner phones ringing and only one person uses this line to communicate with me.

' Hi , David.'  I answer calmly.

' Oh hi , how are you kid? Having a great day ?' There was something sarcastic about his voice , ' Marvin , what the hell do you think you are doing?' Only he calls me by my birth name.

' It’s hard to explain.'

' Oh how can you explain that you shot special agents and kidnapped a bearer?!' He sounds more agitated than Shannon , ' A pregnant woman, Marvin?! Who kidnaps a pregnant woman?'

' I didn’t kidnap her , ' I walk up to the fridge and take out a beer can , ' She came to me running from them , they are the ones who kidnap pregnant women.' I drink some of the contents.

' Damn , Marvin,' I think he threw something at the wall, ' Bearers belong to the Tribune . What are you going to do with an expectant mother?'

' She’s not a Bearer and what I’m not going to do is let the Tribune and plutocrats get her .'

' Why?'

' Take a guess.'

After a few seconds I hear another smash in the background , ' No , girlfriends or families of any kind T-23 those are the rules.' This is the first time David has ever used my codename.

' She’s not my girlfriend.'

' Then why is she pregnant and you ran off with her , most importantly how did she know where to find you?'

' She is a one night stand I took home and it’s natural if she needs money she would come to the father.'

' Oh so you're now calling yourself father? Why did you take her to your home and not go to her's ?'

' They usually never come back after they realize they were simply being used .'

' And you are fine with using people?'

' Shannon used me.'

' Now you call her by name , ' he is quiet for a moment . ' Give her up , Marvin.'

' No.'

' Marvin.'

' They are my children I won’t give them up.'

' Children ? Twins?'

' No , triplets.'

' Shit , Marvin that explains why the guys above are coming in hot. Triplets?'

' What do you mean , coming in hot?'

' The last case of twins was fifty years ago and no one has seen triplets in four hundred years. Why did you get a woman pregnant my boy ?'

' I didn't know she could get pregnant. '

There is silence.

' So you won’t give her up ?'

' No.'

' Where are you?'

' Why so you can turn us in?'

' So I can help , you wound me. '

' The warehouse .  '

' Ok , I’ll find out what I can and head right there.' He hangs up .

' Do you eavesdrop much?' I say as I put the phone in my pocket.

' I didn’t hear anything I just got here ' Shannon emerges from behind the wall.

' No ,  you were here for a while I heard your footsteps.'

' Wow , you that good huh, ' She walks up and gets a fruit then takes a seat across the room and stares at me , ' Your handler ?'

' I think you know the answer to your question.'

' What’s your name?'

I don’t answer.

' Like you said , you are my children's father .' She gives me a slight smile , ' Your name at the very least , you owe me that much.'

' Marvin, Marvin Grey.'