Chapter 6

' How long till we get there?' Asks Shannon as she finishes her sandwich and wipes her hands.

' We’ll be there by six just like I told you an hour ago.' I try to concentrate on the road .

It’s frustrating really , a road trip with Shannon . She is either fidgeting in her seat or asking if we have reached our destination after every thirty minutes.

' Well , we’ll be there by nine at the speed you’re going. ' She complains , ' You would think a hitman or whatever the hell you are can work an engine , even a dog drives faster than this.'

' Oh , so you want ultra speed like a car chase in a movie?' I chuckle . ' Sorry sweetheart but not only does that draw unnecessary attention to us exactly what we are trying to avoid but those stunts are the most unrealistic stuff I have ever seen.
' Do you really believe we will just navigate our way through other professional agents , police and citizens without collateral damage or getting injured ourselves?'

' No ,' She looks me dead in the eye ,' I’m just saying a little increase of speed please so we can get there soon .'

' We’ll be there in two hours .'

' Great .' She looks out of her widow and studies the poor homeless people outside going about their business.

' We’ll be there soon .'

' It’s not soon enough for me .'

' You’re not a very patient person are you?'

' It’s not that,' She returns her focus at the road ahead . ' Ever since I was a kid I always knew what I wanted to do , who I wanted to be and the work it would take to get there . My mother is a second generation substitute so giving birth to children was her dream , I have an older brother and younger sister but being third generation and knowing I was infertile , babies were never priority.
' Of course I could get IVF but I wanted to achieve something of my own first . So I focused on school so I can be the attorney who challenges our corrupt government that takes the best and leave us with crumbs . Their statistics lie , you know . Our population dropped by 15% in the last seventy years and all colonies are starting to look like ancient city states . The animal population is suffering the most with a drop of 40% and food shortages ….You and I are the privileged ones living in apartments and drinking at bars. 36.9% are homeless and dying of hunger and I thought I could change the world. Now I’m pregnant and being chased across the country to be owned by the very people I have spent my career fighting . Oh and I’m pregnant by someone I picked up on the streets who is just like all the guys I date to avoid getting tied down , not marriage material . Oh and he kills people. I hate not being in control and right now I have no idea where I am going so I just want to get there in order to breathe . Before I came to you , I ran to my parents and I watched them get apprehended for hiding me . I can’t contact the rest of my family or friends to find out if they are okay and now I’m going to be a mother soon and I don’t even have diapers!'

I understand her frustrations , she chose me because she thought I was safe and exactly what she didn’t want in a man and now she is stuck with me with nowhere left to go . An independent woman left helpless and she hates the feeling of helplessness .

' What’s your family history ?' She asks interrupting my thoughts . ' Come on , you know everything about me now and what I didn’t know about myself such as I really thought I was conceived naturally and not a donor , thanks to your good friend we unearthed it together.'

Silence.

' Oh my goodness , who do you think I’m going to tell?' She looks at me with disbelief , ' The fairy when I ask her to grant me three wishes with one of them undoing what has been done.'