• 15

Third PoV

Hours later, Emilio is still on the road empty handed. Every possible place he could have thought of turned out to be another failure, ultimately leading the oldest to wonder if he even knows his younger brother.

The playground Luciano always took Liliana too was a wrong guess. The small park behind the hospital she was born in was a wrong guess. He even went as far as assuming that Luciano would go to family that is so extended that none of them have talked in years, but he also left those places on his own.

Despite the amount of time it has taken him until now, the sun having already risen and blinding his eyes, there is one place he hasn't been to yet. Purely due to the unlikelihood of it, but with the empty passenger seat it might not be as unlikely as he thinks.

With all the courage he needs for it, he takes the dreadful turn and a short while after parks the car in the otherwise empty parking spot.

His first instinct is to judge the lack of empty cars. To judge the people that don't bother to visit the dead, but who is he to judge when he himself hasn't been here since her casket was lowered into the ground all those years ago.

Aside from Adriano, who goes to visit her grave every time his anger gets the better of him, the oldest isn't aware of anyone else coming here.

But maybe, purely due to the unlikelihood of it all, this is the place Luciano goes to. Whether it is to trash it the way he trashed their home or to mourn. Emilio wouldn't even care about the latter. He just wants one normal conversation with his younger brother that doesn't end in conspiracy theories.

And the worst of it all will always be that Emilio doesn't even know where he failed Luciano.

Was it when he allowed his younger brother to lose himself in the search for a sister he occasionally doubted is still alive? Was it when he allowed him to come with them? Was it when he stayed up all night, comforting him just to never speak of it again the next morning? Would it have changed the course of events if he had offered Luciano more help?

Or did he fail him when he stopped recognizing him and ultimately choosing a girl he knows even less over the boy he raised? Should he - just for one small moment in time - paid attention to Luciano's words without shutting him down right away?

The brown eyes staring up at him enter his mind again. The same brown eyes that have hunted him for years and always been a painful reminder of his biggest failure and regret when he dared to look in a mirror.

But now, those brown eyes are gone.

The owner has returned but with eyes so green that they almost remind him of a poisonous snake.

Or of the other bearer of green eyes that is laying six feet deep right in front of him.

The grave is overgrown with weed that no one has at the very least attempted to take care of in the last years. The grave next to the one of their mother looks the same.

Overgrown weed and a barely readable grave stone. The first name is completely covered by the nature and the last name is beginning to look the same. Soon it will be completely gone and all that will remain is an almost empty spot.

The mother's name on the grave stone is already covered from bottom to top and everyone that doesn't know where her grave lays wouldn't be able to find it.

It's almost comforting in a strange way.

Two adults that brought all six of them into the world but failed just one of them and lost them all somewhere along the way. Much similar to the way they lost their own lives.