Chapter 37

Adrien became silent after what he said last.

I saw cop cars parked in the mansion with my mother sobbing her heart out and that's when I realized that my guts weren't wrong. Something bad has happened...

He was gathering himself up again to continue speaking because his voice had started choking after the last sentence.

He was still in her arms with his head on her stomach as silent tears slipped through his eyes, wetting her top letting her know that he was crying and not noticing her own tears that has been slipping as well on seeing her loved one in so much pain.

She would now and then rub her hand on his back, kiss his head, run her fingers in his hair in a comforting way, hug him and squeeze him a little, letting him know that she was still here.

He had been hiding so much, hurting so much. She knew he was but never thought that up to this extent-

Marinette stopped in the tracks of her thoughts as Adrien shifted and sat beside her. 

He stared at his lap for some time, fumbling with his fingers.

Marinette leaned her head on his shoulder and intertwined his hand with hers when he started scratching the skin around his nails.

"I..." Adrien started "I slowly walked up to my mother after gathering some courage and as soon as she saw me, she ran towards me and grabbed me by my arms, she yelled at me 'Where the hell have you been? Why weren't you picking up my calls? So... so irresponsible and untrustworthy, it's a-all your fault!' And then a cop pulled her away from me when she noticed that Mother's grip was starting to hurt me"

Adrien slipped his hand from Marinette's hold and she immediately missed the warmth, though she had held his to comfort him somehow. He was pulling away again unconsciously but she wasn't going to interrupt him right now.

"My mother had never yelled at me in my entire life. That was the first and last time she did. But at that moment she wasn't talking to me and the cops weren't telling me anything. I stood there dumbfounded waiting for someone to just tell me something... anything but they never did. I only found out the next day in the morning when a cop finally came and notified my mother s-saying... t-that t-they..."

He inhaled and exhaled "they f-finally found the crashed jet w-with the bodies of... of..."

Adrien choked again. He wasn't able to finish his sentence. Remembering that day was already dreadful enough and yet talking about it.

He wanted to stop... run. 

But no... He wasn't going to do that. He had already run enough, hid enough and that's enough.

He won't run and will finally get it off of his chest.

Yes, after completing his story maybe Marinette will start to hate him, maybe she will never look at him the way she used to, never wouldn't even want to say his name again... will never say she loves him again... but after being put through all this, she deserves to know the truth... and he will give her the complete truth.

Despite his trembling and choking, he continued "I-it w-was like... the ground was gone below my feet a-as my mind was unable to comprehend it. A-and w-when it started w-we were already having their f-funeral. I wasn't able to cry properly o-or say something. I-it was like I was dead... I was dead. My mother wasn't doing well at all, she wasn't eating, she wasn't talking, n-not even moving b-but I was too deep in my own self-pity that I didn't notice h-her pain. Even though it was my fault"

"It wasn't your fault, Adrien, it-" Adrien suddenly jumped off the bed startling Marinette and interrupting her with what she was saying.

Adrien's hands were trembling when he motioned them to tell her to stop while saying or rather should say yelling "No! No! Let me finish o-or else I won't be able to"