He Looks After You Whilst You Study

There was just two days between you and your final exam, everything you'd worked for was building up to two and a half hours in an exam hall, to see whether you'd pass or the fail the subject. A lot was riding on it, and you were certainly working hard for it.

All day, every day was spent revising your notes, you weren't entirely sure what day of the week it even was anymore, the only thing you could focus on was the papers before you.

"I left you here eight hours ago, and you're still here," Hobi's voice spoke, walking in to find you still laid out across the dining table with all your work before you. "This isn't good for you."

"I'm fine," you argued, "when did you even get in?"

He pulled out a chair from beside you, lifting the folders of work you'd had sat on them, placing them to the floor. He couldn't believe that you could work in such conditions, it was sending him crazy just looking at the mess before you.

"I think it's about time that you take a break, I can cook us a nice meal for tea," he proposed.

You shook your head, not even stringing words together to him focussing entirely on the revision card that you held in your cold hand. Food was not your priority, in fact, you could barely remember the last time you even ate any food.

Hobi frowned when you ignored him, waiting a few moments for you to finish reading the card and put it down. Only when you went to pick the next one up, his hands fell over yours, jumping out how cold they were.

"Can you divert your attention elsewhere for just a moment?"

"I have more important things to do then talk to you. This exam is the most important thing."

He took your hands, spinning your frame so that you faced him. "Can you not see how much harm you are doing to your body and your mind? Look at you, you're cold, starving, and I bet half of what you're reading isn't even going in anymore because you've read that much."

The concern was clear in his voice, he wanted you to pass too, just in a way that's healthy for you. "I can't give up," you sighed, "two days, that's all I need and then all of this can go away. Right now, I can barely remember a thing."

"I bet you can remember lots; you just don't believe in yourself."

Self-belief was something you lacked in, every exam or essay would worry to the core. Despite passing everything so far, the thought always lingered in the back of your mind, that this time might be the time when you just weren't good enough.

"Regardless of what you want, I'm going to cook, and you are going to eat. No one else is around to look after you, except me, and I'm not going anywhere right now until you eat."

"You can't force me to do anything Hobi. Twenty minutes I waste eating could be sent looking through valuable information that could be the make or break mark.

He shook his head, moving his hands to cup either side of your face. Your hand cautiously reached out to pick up a card, but a stern glare from Hobi quickly stopped you.

His forehead rested against yours. "Another way of looking at it is it's twenty minutes and then you can have a healthier brain to absorb information properly again."

"Stop trying to prove me right all the damn time," you giggled, finally breaking out into a small part of your usual self. "I know that you care about me a lot, but I'm so stressed and confused right now."

He smiled softly, understanding how hard all of this was for you. He wanted to be there to encourage and support you, which is why he was spending so much time making sure you were alright.

"I think once you realise how useful a break will be to you, you'll be thankful. You just need that moment to rest your brain and give it time to process everything."

He kissed the top of your head before standing up, turning the cooker on, opening a couple of the cupboards to get out everything that he needed to cook.

"You're going to have a proper meal, filled with plenty of goodness that will boost your energy levels. Just looking at you, I can see how fatigued you have become," he spoke, having studied your face closely, noticing how tired you were. "You just need to get yourself back on track."

"And I can, once this exam is completed. Every time I try to think about something else, my mind comes back to this, I feel like it's haunting me sometimes."

He chuckled, moving your papers across the table to make room for two plates. Your heart began to pound watching him touch your stuff, even if it did lose any logical order a long time ago, when you started throwing things everywhere in frustration.

"This exam will not define you, there is so much more to you than one exam. I appreciate that it's a scary time, and that you're feeling the pressure, but honestly, you don't really need to worry. You've achieved so much already, you're going to ace this, like the rest of them."

You threw your head back, tightening the ponytail that sat at the top of your head, keeping your hair out of yours eyes. You knew as he spoke, he was right, he was always right.

In the bottom of your heart you knew just how exhausted you had become. All your energy had been used; you were running on an empty tank that was ready to give way any second. Everything ached, nothing made sense anymore, as you laid out across the table, stretching your arms.

"Oh, jagi," Hobi cooed, walking over to pick you back up, placing a cushion behind your back. "You can't sleep just yet, soon. You can't sleep on the table at least; I'll take you to bed."

"Hobi, I don't know what to do anymore. I'm letting everything mountain on top of each other, and eventually it's going to crack into one big disaster."

He kept his arms around you for stability, looking down at you. "I'm going to look after you, and together we are going to get you the pass mark that you're searching for."

Oddly, watching you fall tired bought a smile to his face. You had finally seen what he had seen for so long, you were exhausted, and now he was on hand to put the smile back on your face and take care of you exactly how you needed.

"Hobi, thank you for sticking with me and putting the smile back on my face. I think I've realised now that I need to take a bit more time for me."

"You are my top priority, always. You've worked yourself too hard, so now it's time for you to relax. Let me take care of you, and help you get better, I'm right here with you."

"You're amazing, thank you."

————