Late Blooming Army

Your eyes widened in awe as Hobi showed you through yet another one of his videos from just after his debut, during a time when you had no idea who he was.

It was an awkward experience for you to watch, with every performance it felt like you were watching Hobi fall further and further to the back of the stage, with his mask covering his face most of the time too.

His talent was something that you knew people used to sleep on, yet since you had known him, things had changed. You had only ever known Hobi as the dancer at the front of the stage, someone who was appreciated for how talented he was.

"What did you think? Did you like that one?" Hobi asked you.

Your head nodded as you looked past your shoulder to where Hobi was sat behind you. "I've liked all of the videos that you've shown me, I can't believe I had no idea who you were back then, although it seems very few people did."

"It wasn't always easy back then," Hobi agreed in a quiet tone, "back then people were only interested in the vocal line, but at least now when you get to see me on stage, I'm actually in view so that you can see me."

"That can't have been easy back then."

"I just wanted to be successful."

The dedication that Hobi had to the job inspired you, you couldn't believe that he was happy to be hidden and unappreciated, to have people barely know his name whilst the other members had heaps of praise piled onto them.

You smiled weakly across at him, "I feel kind of bad that I didn't know who you were back then, I should have been a fan of yours before I met you. These songs are incredible, you were such a good rookie group, and I mean all of you guys too."

Hobi didn't mind when he met you that you didn't really know who the group were, but he loved that you were so willing to learn about them. You expected to see the group exactly as you did during recent albums, however when you watched a few of their rookie videos, so much seemed to be different.

"We love adding new fans to our army, and we appreciate them all whenever they join," Hobi reassured you, "and I don't care when you became a fan of us either, you're still my favourite fan that we have."

"But I don't understand how people used to ignore you," you sighed, "where was the hype around you? Where were the tags and the comments on all of your videos?"

His shoulders shrugged back at you, truthfully Hobi didn't know what went wrong back then, but he was thankful that you didn't have to see him go through it.

"You should have had someone with you back then who could show you just how loved you were," you mused, spinning around so that the two of you were face to face. "At least one person should have been by your side to cheer you on."

"I've got you now, and that's all that I need Y/N."

Your head shook back at Hobi as he reached across to take a hold of your hand, assuring you that you had no reason to worry about him.

There were always bound to be hard times, and although at times they were a struggle, they had been worth it now to get the success that he had.

"Do you know what I'm appreciative for those days when I would be at the back, with my face hidden because now people look back at them and feel guilty for how they used to speak about me, they've learnt to appreciate me."

"But you were all alone."

His head nodded with a soft chuckle, "I had the six others with me, and we had a few fans back then. It's those loyal fans that stuck by us when we were treated poorly that have helped us build such a huge fanbase today."

"I still wish that I could have been one of them," you admitted, "to be able to support you and help get people to realise just how amazing you were."

Even if others weren't the biggest fan of him when he was a rookie, you knew that you would have been. No matter how many times you tried to make sense of it all, you couldn't, failing to see why anyone would want to hide his face.

"You're a fan of us now, and that's all that matters," Hobi comforted, "it would be a bit awkward if we were dating and you didn't like us."

"Anyone would be mad not to love the songs you produce."

From the moment you first heard your very first BTS song you knew that they were a group you were going to love. If anything, Hobi loved that you had little knowledge of the group, because it meant that you were dating him for who he was instead.

"Those days were hard, but the effort that we put in has brought us here, and most of all it meant that I got to meet you at the awards ceremony that night."

Your head nodded in agreement with Hobi, feeling his hand squeeze against yours as your eyes trailed upwards to look across at him.

"If you hadn't been our runner on that night, who knows what could have happened."

When you were first told that you were going to be the runner for the group, you weren't quite sure of how to react, you'd heard a few of their songs and loved them, but you never anticipated quite how big of a group they were.

"You've got thousands of fans who I'm sure would love to date you instead," you joked.

"And none of them would have been as good as you, even if they were a fan of us from the very start. I love being able to just show you these videos instead, now things are better."

"I'm glad too that I can support you during days when you're appreciated," you smiled in reply, "it would have torn me apart if I was there with you."

Although he would have been thankful for the support, Hobi was glad too, he wouldn't have wanted to see you upset about the way that he was treated.

"Do you reckon you could show me a few more videos? Are there any that have you at the front a little bit more?" You asked him.

"I'm sure I can find a couple," Hobi grinned, moving his arm around your waist so that he could scroll through your laptop, "there might even be one or two where I've not got one of those masks covering my face either."

"So, people did get the chance to see how handsome you were?"

"It was rare," he chuckled, pecking a kiss against your cheek, "but on the odd occasion I think the camera might have caught my eye. You might just have to be a bit patient whilst I do a couple of searches for some videos."

Your head nodded, "I'll wait, I'm sure it will be worth it."

"It'll definitely be worth it."