Chapter 31: Recollection

The day of the festival finally arrived.

Artists were performing songs, dancers depicted the great stories about Chandra, vendors were rapidly making food for the customers.

The people were dressed in traditional cloths which were similar to the attire worn in Dwarka.

Zuko walked next to Vijay who explained. "Today was the day when the statue made by lord Surya was given to us by goddess Chandra. Since that day, she has protected us from all sorts of famines, calamities, wars and filled out life with prosperity. As a way to show gratitude, we host a special ritual to request her to continue to provide us with everything we desire."

"So what is this ritual?" Zuko asked.

"You'll see."

The day went on with Vijay showing Zuko everything while explaining about the gods with great excitement.

It was noon when Zuko decided to roam around the temple for a while. The delicate engravings in the walls increased his curiosity as he tried to make sense of the pictures.

There were words written underneath what seemed to be Chandra but he couldn't read them.

Vijay came up next to Zuko as he read the word out. "Swamini." He spoke. "It is the name Lord Surya used to call Chandra."

"I see.." Zuko mumbled.

He went inside the temple to see many people lighting small oil lamps.

Soon after, the villagers made their way to the holy river nearby.

They lowered their lamps into the water which slowly but smoothly floated on the water.

Just then, the sky started to darken as a unannounced solar eclipse began.

The lamps floating down the river looked even more beautiful in the dark, they twinkled like stars and from the light, a messenger appeared.

He bowed in their general direction as he summoned a sword. "This will protect you all even when goddess Chandra cannot." He stuck the weapon at the bank of the river before disappearing along with all the lamps.

...

Chandra sat on a swing, meditating as usual when the messenger informed her that the gift had been given. She nodded and opened her eyes to see the lamps floating in the river infront of her.

...

The lamps disappeared as darkness took over.

Zuko and the villagers carefully made their way back to the village to wait for the eclipse to pass.

It was still early afternoon but it seemed as if it was midnight.

Zuko returned back to the wall where the names of Chandra were engraved.

He traced the letters as he mumbled. "Swamini.."

As his voice slipped out of his mouth, his head started to throb with pain, on the other hand, Chandra heard someone calling her, making her break off from her meditation with a small gasp.

The memories of Surya rushed back to him, the overwhelming amount of information being thrown on Surya's mind caused him to fall to his knees.

...

Chandra knew what happened as she made a plan to play a small joke on Surya as a way to take her mind off their long seperation.

...

The time his soul spent seperately made Zuko yearn for Chandra. He missed her as he waited for her to appear as he called her with his entire heart.

The sun started to appear again, filling the entire village with light.

The villagers gathered outside the temple about to go back to their homes when they heard someone playing a veena.

Out of the jungle trees popped out a woman following by a small band of people playing instruments.

The woman had a basket in her hand and a flute tucked into her waist band.

They were merrily singing hymns about Surya, telling everyone his unknown stories.

But Zuko, the one whose attention the woman was trying to get, was deep into meditation, calling Chandra repeatedly.

The woman acknowledged everyone as the music changed its tune. The woman told stories about the kindness and devotion of Surya and captivated the audience.

She made her way to the Firelord. She lightly tapped his cheek with her flute as he opened his eyes. He furrowed his eyebrow at her as she smiled at him before going back to the centre.

The boy frowned at her as she danced around him, she sat down on the floor next to the rock he was sitting on.

She held his finger and straightened his palm as she lightly poured something on it.

Zuko, who was looking away, refusing to make eye contact with her, immediately turned his head to her, recognising her instantly.

She pulled her hands back with a relieved and content smile on her face.

She stood up as Zuko followed behind. She stepped back and held her hands out to him, which he took without second thought.

She tightly gripped onto his warm hands as fire engulfed them both.

Zuko opened his eyes to see Chandra and looked down at himself. He was back in the rich silks and his crown changed into the one of Surya.

"Darling.." Chandra smiled as tears welled up in her ocean eyes.

"Swamini." Surya pulled her into a hug. "I promise I won't ever leave again."

"I know." Her voice, muffled by his clothes whispered out. "And even if you try, I won't let you."

"Please don't let me." He held her close. "You know I can be stupid sometimes."

"Idiot."

Time skip

Chandra met with her devotees before returning to Dwarka along with Zuko.

The first time they met as Maya and Zuko, the latter was the one following the other around but now, it was the opposite.

The girl knew that Zuko must return back to the fire nation so she made up the most of the time they were together.

The two sat on the swing as Chandra asked him. "Are you going to spend your time on Earth as Zuko or as Surya?"

"Zuko." He answered. "I have come down as a mortal named Zuko, and I will take the name Surya only after my task here is complete."

"But still keep your divinity." She said. "Because, you know- if you ever need to visit Dwarka or anywhere else." She quickly added to which Zuko agreed.

The two spent the night together, trying to make up for the time they spent apart.