Chapter 21: The second day

Maya knew that her army had the upper hand hence, she wasn't surprised when she was sent a letter from Shumbh.

The messenger was about to read the letter to her but she stopped him. "Leave the parchment here."

The messenger left as Shiva came in. "Have read the letter yet?"

"I haven't."

"Well, are you planning to?"

"Nope."

...

Shumbh sat next to his wife who was wailing loudly, swaying to-and-fro, holding the corpse of her son.

"That Maya will pay for this mistake." Shumbh looked at his dead son.

"THIS IS YOUR MISTAKE." Kavita screamed at her husband. "IF YOU WEREN'T SUCH A COWARDLY KING, MY SON WOULD'VE BEEN ALIVE RIGHT NOW!"

"MIND YOUR TONE." Shumbh warned his wife. "REMEMBER WHAT I DID TO YOUR BROTHER. I WON'T HESITATE TO DO IT TO YOU."

"Do it. Atleast I will be reunited with my son." Her eyes watered. "AWAY FROM YOU!"

...

Maya came face to face with pitamaha. He was old but still seemed to be in perfect condition.

"Goddess. Do not think of me as a fool who does not know of your identity." He spoke in a respectful manner. "Forgive me but I am tied to a promise." He raised her bow and sent an arrow towards the queen.

Within a fraction of a second, an arrow was sent by Maya in retaliation which collided with the old demon's attack, cancelling it out.

The fight between the two waged on without an end. Divine weapons were thrown at eachother to the point where people weren't even coming near the two chariots, afraid that one of the arrows might hit them.

Maya caught a glimpse of Zuko fighting a group of asuras where one was sneaking up on him. To protect the Firelord, Maya turned her bow away from pitamaha and shot the arrow before resuming her fight with the demon.

The demon didn't break a single rule because he knew If he did, Maya would be allowed to as well. The queen was clearly holding back while the older demon gave his all.

Maya went to the extent to make her arrows shower over the demons, taking down almost 1/10th of their army.

The sun disappeared behind the horizon as Bali turned the chariot around.

Pitamaha saw the opening to attack the queen, he considered his thought before releasing the arrow at her back.

It was about to pierce her shoulder when she turned around and caught it. Pitamaha knew what sin he had committed and accepted his death. Expecting to be killed the next instant, he closed his eyes but found himself alive. He watched the chariot leave the battlefield as last rays of the sun left the sky.

Time skip

Pitamaha stood on the edge of his camp when Shumbh came up next to him.

"Grandfather, why didn't you kill that little girl today?"

"I couldn't." He humbly replied. "Because, in the entire world, she is the only one against whom we cannot win." He faced his grandson. "I have already accepted my death by her hands."

"WHAT?!"

Pitamaha nodded. "I know that she will be the one to kill me tomorrow."

...

Zuko told Maya all about the visions he had as she listened that him with great interest.

Her eyes were bright but had sadness hidden deep within. Her smile was gentle but it pained her soul.

Zuko's rant turned to the topic of love as he asked her. "Do you love someone?"

Maya looked down at the ground as she nodded. "I do. I love many."

"Then who resides in your heart?"

"My citizens and my kingdom."

Zuko looked down as he asked in a low voice. "Don't you love another god?"

"Of course I do."

"Well he doesn't reside in your heart."

"He doesn't."

"Then who's the most closest to you?"

"Him."

"But- then where does he reside? It's not your heart so he must be less."

Maya frowned at Zuko as she answered. "He doesn't reside in my heart, Firelord. He is my heartbeat."

"What is his name?" Zuko asked at which Maya just looked away. "What? You can't even say his name?"

"I can't." She sadly replied and walked away.

Time skip

Zuko found himself back in the realm. Maya seemed to be singing to a small child in her hands.

Her voice was gentle which caused the baby to reach to her face.

The goddess felt the presence of her husband as he came into the garden and closer to her. The light of the moon reflected on his hair as the cool air slightly moved it in the opposite direction.

He was approaching the mother and son when he heard a devotee call for him and his wife.

Maya laid their sleeping son in the crib as they both teleported infront of the man.

He bowed to them as they asked him to wish for a boon.

"O divine couple, just by seeing you both I have attained peace, I do not want it to end. Hence, please grant me your child so I could see the Sun god's glorious beauty and experience the moon goddess's love."

Maya, known as the goddess Chandra and the man next to her, known as the god Surya, tensed up at the boon but they both knew, as the supreme deities of the entire multiverse, they must make sacrifices.

Chandra held her hands out as her son appeared in them. He slept soundly in her motherly embrace as she kissed his forehead, wiping off any memories from his mind which included her and Surya.

The man kneeled down as Chandra gently placed her son in the man's arms before the couple vanished.

Zuko jerked awake from his dream but the tune Chandra had been singing repeated in his head.

He had tried his hardest to see Chandra's husband but his face always looked blurred.

...

Shiva sat infront of Maya as she cleaned her bansuri. "When are you planning to meet Shumbh?" He asked.

"Tomorrow. And I think I'll have something for you as well."

Shiva slightly perked up as Maya continued. "Bali said that his twon brother is also a threat. I want you to be the one to kill him. Don't worry though, I will be close by if you need help."

"Bali said that Tarakasura is a wrestler."

Maya smiled at him as Shiva understood what she was planning.
_____________________________

Chandra- Moon in Sanskrit

Surya- Sun in Sanskrit