Chapter 4: stories from the past

Govind, the pandit the gang had met looked at the royal couple before turning his gaze back to the paper.

"How do I tell you this.." Govind sighed while contemplating. "My lord, you and your wife cannot bear children of your own."

Kamala stood there blank as her hand went to her womb. Hot tears welled up in her eyes as she felt her dreams shatter.

The king couldn't bear to see his wife in such a condition as he ordered Govind to meet him alone.

The maids took the queen to her chambers as Ashok took the pandit to the temple.

"What do you wish to talk about, your highness?" Govind asked.

"There must be a way to have an offspring." The king got on his knees and prayed to the golden statue of the goddess. "Oh goddess of auspiciousness, oh personification of beauty, bless me with a child who holds all your qualities."

The sunrays from outside fell on the golden statue as Govind felt a divine presence.

Govind urged the king to perform a yagya in the name of the goddess.

Time skip

The king, barefoot walked up the steep mountains to complete the final rituals as instructed by the pandit. He prayed to the goddess as he walked out of the temple.

His country, his people, his family, everyone wished for the rituals to be a success.

Ashok closed his eyes and began his tapasya.

Years passed as the king didn't move a muscle. He mumbled out the goddess' name. He had grown fragile due to the lack of food and water but somehow, still alive.

The city had started to thrive as the queen had taken up the role as the ruler in the absence of her husband.

The gods showered their blessings on the nation, keeping it safe from the raging wars outside.

The goddess whom the king had made the yagya had decided to grant his biggest wish.

She separated a part of her soul and gave it to a messenger who travelled into the realm of the humans.

"Open your eyes Ashok."

Ashok didn't budge as he thought that someone was playing a trick on him.

The messenger smiled as he went back into the clouds and spoke again, his voice louder this time.

"The gods as pleased with you penance. Exactly one year from now, you shall have a child. Your daughter will be the personification of illusion."

Ashok opened his eyes and bowed in the direction of the clouds.

The king returned to his kingdom as the news of the boon spread like wildfire.

The queen was overjoyed as well as the citizens who could barely wait to meet the unborn princess.

Three months passed as the queen became pregnant. The king gave out gifts to his ministers and made Govind as his main advisor.

Govind out of gratitude, took an oath to protect the princess however he could.

The wealth of the nation increased at an unusual pace which was believed to be the doing of the gods.

The queen gave birth to a enchanting girl. Her skin was the colour of rich gold, which seemed to illuminate the whole room. She had swirls of dark hair which complemented her ocean eyes.

Each and every precious gem which the king had ever seen, seemed dull as compared to the child.

The king held his child close as he whispered. "Maya."

Time skip

The four year old princess walked around the massive castle as her eyes fell on the statue of a dragon. It had red scales and amber eyes. Fascinated, she climbed up to get a better view.

The king rushed to the princess afraid she would fall. The princess' hand grazed the cold statue as it came to life.

It was relatively small compared to the girl. It flew onto her shoulder as the princess smiled in delight.

The queen arrived as she screamed, seeing the beast on her daughter's shoulder.

Time skip

The six year old Maya walked into the gardens as the servants placed a pot of water in the open.

"Mother, what is that for?"

"It is for your dragon." Kamala answered. "It cannot solely survive off your undying adoration."

"It can." Maya huffed.

The young child went near the pot. The moon's reflection could be seen in the water as Maya was slightly distracted by it.

She tightly gripped onto the pot which was almost as tall as her and pulled it hard.

The moon which was directly above the pot moved along.

Maya dragged the pot under a tree as her mother watched in shock as the moon followed after the reflection.

"Snow can survive." Maya announced.

Time skip

Maya followed after her parents as she saw a seller outside. The queen handed the woman a basket full of grains as the seller gave her a small basket of exotic fruits in return.

Wanting some for herself, Maya ran to the royal kitchens and asked the chef for some grains.

Not questioning the princess' demand, the chef held out a basket of rice grains. Maya tried to hold the massive basket but failed.

She settled on fitting as many grains in her tiny palms as she ran back to the palace entrance.

The seller was about to leave when the princess called out to her.

The woman stopped as she squatted down to match the child's height.

"What do want?" The woman questioned.

Maya motioned to the fruits as she held out two small fists filled with rice.

In awe of the princess' splendor, the woman opened a bag as Maya dropped the grains in. The seller gave the girl the best of the fruits she had.

Maya smiled as she ran back into the palace. The seller felt her bag get heavy as she check what was happening.

All the grains in the bag had turned into gold valuables with a few gems scattered about.

The woman looked at the back of the small girl who was offering the fruits to a dragon.

____________________

Yagya- the ancient yogic practice of making offerings into a sacred fire.

Tapasya- a severe penance usually done to please the gods