Chapter 20: The first day

The Firelord saw the queen and Shiva get on two chariots as they split Bali's soul into two with a body for each half.

The second the sun revealed itself over the horizon, Maya and the prime minister shot fire arrows at the demon's with weapons in their hands, leaving the ones who were still preparing.

The asura armies formed together as they sounded their horn, indicating the beginning of the war.

The armies of both sides clashed together as the three elements could be seen being thrown around.

Shiva knew their army would be able to handle the asuras fighting on foot. So he diverted his attention to the commanders and the rest.

Maya took on the family members of Bali which included the most powerful asuras.

Nishumbh, the son of the demon king crossed Maya's path and challenged her.

"Your majesty, it is better if you fight him this instant. He holds the most powerful illusions in the world."

"I question that." Maya pulled her bowstring all the way to her ear. A arrow appeared, shining as if the sun had come down from the sky and into her hands.

She released the string as the arrow pierced the demons neck. Before he could react another arrow made its way into his stomach and into his palms.

He fell from his chariot as Maya, deciding to put him out of his misery shot the arrow behind herself.

The surroundings changed as the Nishumbh on the ground vanished, the real one appearing behind her with a arrow in his heart.

He stumbled a little before falling to the ground.

"Shumbh is not going to be too happy about this." Maya told Bali as she sent a second arrow through Nishumbh's heart.

"The next threat is pitamaha. He has the boon of dying only when he wishes."

Maya nodded as she continued. "We'll deal with him later first we must destroy Nishumbh's illusion completely."

Bali tuned the chariot around on Maya's command as she shot an arrow at Shiva, running towards one of the demons.

He fell to the ground as a pool of blood formed near his chest. Releasing her spear, it slashed his head off and levitated next to her.

The body morphed into Nishumbh as Bali's panic subsided.

"Did you really think that I would shoot Shiva?" Maya asked.

"You wouldn't, that is why I was panicking." Bali reasoned.

...

Shiva dragged the commander by his horn as he squirmed around trying to free himself out of the boy's grip.

"Stop moving or I break the horn." The prime minister spat. A rope appeared from the boy's palm as it wrapped itself around the demon.

He threw the asura into the chariot as they travelled back to the camp to have him interrogated.

He returned next to Maya who shot the most random 'people' which turned into Nishumbh. "Need a little help?" He asked.

Maya gave a small nod before telling Bali to head west.

Time skip

The sun hid behind the horizon as the armies receded back to their camps. Maya weaved through the tanks and entered the inner camp were many rocks were kept. Some were as tall as the tanks while some were the size of a turtle-duck.

Proper funerals were given to the fallen asuras and humans by the god of death at Maya's order.

Zuko sat in his tent along with his commanders discussing about the food resources when a sweet tune fell on their ears

The world seemed to pause to listen to the music flowing out of Maya's bansuri. The sounds mixed together to form the most beautiful tunes the universe had ever heard.

The music felt familiar to Zuko as he followed it. Maya sat on a rock which was conveniently shaped into a chair.

He eyes were closed and her lips were curled up into a peaceful smile. Her fingers glided over the instrument as she blew air into it.

Zuko sat down next to her, as he closed his eyes as well, the rhythm lulled him to sleep as his head leaned against Maya's shoulder.

Maya rested her head on his, continuing to play the instrument. The melodies covered the entire camp causing everyone to forget their problems.

...

Zuko found himself back into the world with two moons. This time he was leaning against the woman who was seemingly playing to same melody as Maya.

They sat together at the bank of a river whose water seemed like crushed diamonds. It glistened under the soft moonlight and reflected the stars in the dark night sky.

The grass was lush and the trees were green. Small squirrels and rabbits were gathered together around them, listening to the woman.

A rabbit as white as snow jumped onto his lap as the scene changed.

An old sage stared furiously at the woman who still smiled at him with the kindest of expressions even if her eyes were glossy and pained. He couldn't hear what the man shouted but felt himself being transported somewhere else.

The woman laid on the ground with something in her hands. She held a picture facing downward to her chest and her eyes closed.

The surroundings changed again as he saw her talking to who seemed to be a grown up Shiva.

The spark in here eyes was dim but her smile still remained unwavering. The full moons were dull while the stars were dim.

The scene changed again to him standing next to the goddess as the two talked. The scenes changed rapidly as he could no longer see what was going on.

He jerked off Maya's shoulder which made the queen jump, stopping her tune midway.

"I got those visions again." He told her.

"What did you see this time?" She asked.

He told her everything he could recall. Maya's glossy eyes looked up at the night sky. She stopped the wheel of time itself as Zuko continued to tell her the stories.

___________________________

Bansuri- The bamboo flute is an important instrument in Indian classical music, and developed independently of the Western flute. The Indian flutes are very simple compared to the Western counterparts; they are made of bamboo and are keyless.

Pitamaha- paternal grandfather