Chapter 16: Dwarkeshwari

The maid lightly shook the princess who shuffled under her covers. "Your highness! It's time to wake up! You have to prepare for the ceremony!"

Maya's blue eyes peeked out of the covers and traveled to the calander nearby. She streched and got out of but to freshen up.

"Remember princess! You have to fast until the ceremony!" The maid called out as she left.

"Right..."

Time skip

Maya walked out of the shower as the maids coaxed her back in.

The applied all sorts of cosmetics to her arms, legs and face to enhance her beauty.

They bathed her with milk and water before she was finally let out of the bathroom.

A princeless dress was kept on her bed as she changed into it. The maids returned and made her sit infront of the mirror.

They brought all sorts of jewels in trays and requested the princess to choose one of them.

"These are all gifts, your highness. From officials all over the world. I heard a few are from the Firelord as well."

Maya perked up as she looked around the trays scattered on her bed.

A golden necklace with a bright red gem caught her attention as she gently took it in her hands. It went well with her red and gold dress as she kept it away from the rest of the ornaments.

The maids gathered around, recommending jewellery which they thought was nice as Maya selected her favourites.

After they were happy with the amount of ornaments, Maya sat onto the chair as they put the jewellery on the princess.

After about two hours, they finally let the princess go. The stepped back to see her appearance, the red dress along with the golden embellishment looked like flames. Her anklets tinkled everytime she moved as her jewellery reflected her glow. The priceless gems sparkled against her dark hair. Her eyes stood out with the eyeliner sharper than her spear. Her nose ring was connected to her earrings.

One of the maids made a dot at the back of her ear with the eyeliner. "Let no evil eye be cast upon you."

Maya was lead to the throne by Shiva. She sat down as her parents venerated her and gave her their blessings. A garland made of flowers was given to the pandit who put it on the princess.

The rituals began at 12:00pm sharp and came to an end at 4.

Finally, Ashok stood infront of the princess with a delicate crown in his hands and placed it on her head. Vermillion was applied between her eyebrows with some of it falling on her nose.

The crowds cheered and clapped while some chanted.

"Dwarkeshwari ki jai! Ranisa ki jai!"

Maya bowed to the citizens as the waiters started shuffling around the room with trays of delicacies.

Maya walked next to her father who formally introduced her to the entire council, the ministers and the advisors.

Zuko and the rest stuck together, feeling slightly out of place.

Katara bit her lip in slight embarassment. All the people had dressed up fabulously and her, along with Sokka and Aang felt under dressed.

Maya finally escaped from the elders and joined team Avatar.

Zuko's heart skipped a few beats when he saw the new queen up close. He stared at her blankly as she smiled, snapping her fingers infront of him, she managed to pull him out of his trance.

She saw Shiva talking with Krutika as she smirked to herself.

The Firelord's attention fell on one of the necklaces she was wearing and lightly touched it.

"I gifted you this one." He smiled at the ornament bordering her neck. "Do you like it?"

"I do."

Time skip

Maya had changed into simpler cloths as she stood on the shore along with Zuko and her parents with a ship waiting in the water.

"We shall miss you daughter." Kamala caressed her child's face.

"My daughter is all grown up now." Ashok gave the princess a teary eyed smile. "And I cannot be prouder."

"Please, mother, father if you ever need anything, just send a letter- no- I'll have Snow stay with you both, she will be capable of protecting you both." Maya jumbled over her words.

"It's fine Maya." Her mother assured. "If we ever need anything, we will send the message."

"We should get going." Ashok sighed. The family shared a short group hug as Zuko and Maya helped the couple into the ship.

Kamala waved goodbye to her daughter who could barely make out anything through her tears.

Zuko wiped her tears off her cheeks which had unknowingly escaped her eyes.

"It's ok Maya. You can cry.." He pulled her into his arms.

He heard Maya let out a shaky sigh as she pulled away. "We should head back.."

Time skip

The two arrived at the palace as Zuko walked to his room which was closer as come to the princess's chambers.

He let Maya in as he flopped onto the bed.

Maya sat infront of the mirror and closed her eyes. She stayed in the same position for a while when she felt Zuko's warm hand removing her necklace. He gently removed all her ornaments and kept them on the table.

She didn't open her eyes until she felt him pick her up. Her eyes snapped open as she held onto the Firelord.

He kept her on the bed before flopping down on the other side. He kept space between the two to keep the princess comfortable.

Maya's tired eyes closed as she went to sleep almost immediately.

Zuko, whose heart was still beating fast due to his daring stunt, refused to let him sleep.

He tossed and turned, thinking how would he show his face to Maya tomorrow. He feared that Maya thought that he was forcing her to sleep next to him.

While the train of thoughts continued to torment the Firelord, Maya started to feel cold. Her room would have thick blankets to protect her from the chilly night air.

Due to the blankets absence, she moved around, trying to get warm. Zuko who had gone closer due to all the tossing and turning immediately attracted the princess.

She scooted closer to him, leaning into his chest.

Zuko's face went red as the queen snuggled into him.

"Might as well risk it all.." He thought as he placed his arm around her waist, pulling her closer. He rested his chin on her head as he felt serene.

Maya always had a peaceful and pure aura surrounding her which made the people around her to just forget their problems.

Zuko's worries seemed to have disappeared as he closed his eyes, hoping for the feeling to never end.

______________________________

Dwarkeshwari ki jai- hail the queen of Dwarka

Ranisa ki jai- hail the queen

Ranisa- queen