Chapter 25: Break and memories

Maya could only see Surya in the place of Zuko and it was starting to get unbearable, not being able to talk to him but having him with her was difficult.

She was also unable to keep the balance of the world while having to involve herself in the external matters.

Her schedule was packed enough when Dwarikanagri was an self-sufficient nation but now having to manage her affairs with the other nations, keeping note of the trades, maintaining the cosmic balance of all existence and seeing her husband whom she hadn't seen for the past hundred millenniums but not being able to talk to him was really starting to be a tad bit to much for her.

So the only thing that came to mind was to take a break. But, as the only working preserver of the universes, a break is something she wouldn't get.

Then came the closest thing to a break.

She handed her power over the nation to Shiva temporarily, who was deemed capable of running the nation with the help of Govind and a few other trusted ministers and advisors.

She then left for her realm, Swarga, to get a better view of all universes and not having to deal with her emotions for Surya.

Arriving at Swarga, she threw herself into the role of the preserver, not doing anything else but balancing the order of all existence.

A few gods told her about unsolved problems and cosmic issues as she diligently got rid of them.

And if she wasn't dealing with cosmic issues, she would be meditating, solving the problems of her devotees.

Time skip

Maya was deep in her thoughts when a past vision came in her mind.

Surya argued with his mother who didn't want him to marry the goddess.

Divita screamed at her son, something she hadn't done before which caused Surya to pause.

"YOU ARE NOT MARRYING THAT GODDESS."

"Why not?" Surya controlled his voice.

"SHE'S A GODDESS, SHE WILL NEVER THINK OF YOU AS HER EQUAL. YOU'RE A HUMAN SURYA, YOU CANNOT BE WITH A GODDESS."

Surya looked down at the floor as his voice cracked. "But I have already accepted her as my wife. If I marry any other woman, I will kill myself. My heart belongs to Chandra, mother. She has accepted me as her husband as well."

"She tricked me! She came in disguise at your bride choosing ceremony."

"But you prayed to Bhudevi that I choose her!"

"That's not true! I can't let you go!"

"Mother I have to! There is a difference between humanity and divinity. I have completed the rituals with Chandra as my witness to attain divinity."

The argument raged on as Shiva stormed off after he thought he has convinced his mother to allow him to marry Chandra.

Time skip

Years passed as one day,

Surya sat infront of Chandra as they both played a game of chess.

Chandra wasn't giving it her all as a part of her attention was towards something else.

Surya frowned at his wife who would never give him her complete attention.

He finally decided to speak up about her behaviour. "Swamini, I want to talk to you about something."

Chandra nodded, indicating for him to continue.

"Whenever you are with me, may it be during a simple walk in the gardens or visiting Akash and Bhudevi, your attention is always somewhere else. I have never spoke about it but I think now is the time I do. Tell me Chandre, who is the one who always has a part of your attention?"

"It's my devotees, Surya." Chandra answered. "As the goddess, it is my duty to fulfil their needs and wishes."

"But I am also your devotee, aren't I?  I have diligently followed through all penances and rituals for you."

"You have, my love. That is why I came to you in the form of your wife."

"Are you saying that you becoming my wife but always thinking about someone else is the prize for all my hard work? This is unfair Chandra."

"Surya, my beloved, I never said that." Chandra tried to reason with her husband. "You are my power, Surya. I need you a lot more than you need me. That is the reason I came to you as your wife."

"So you came to me to become more powerful?"

"No! I came to you, fell in love and made you my strength." Chandra explained. "Surya, I am nothing without you by my side. The moon's glow comes from the sunrays darling. If the Sun isn't there? How will the moon shine?" She sat next to him. "This moon of yours needs her Sun to shine."

Surya was still not convinced. "Then tell me Chandra. That your heart only belongs to me."

She didn't answer. Surya spoke up again. "What happened? Tell me."

"I-I cannot lie, my love."

Surya frowned. "Then to whom does you heart belong to?"

"You my love, you are precious to me, my devotees, who are also precious, along with this entire universe which I created with you, Akash and Bhudevi."

Surya was finally convinced as Chandra let out a sigh of relief.

A messenger came as he told the couple about Surya's mother hosting a yagya.

Chandra's face darkened as Surya immediately got up to visit his mother.

"Stop." The goddess told her husband as the messenger left. "She hasn't invited you. You cannot go."

"She's my mother Swamini, even if I am a god, she is still my mother. And a child never need his mother's invitation to join a yagya."

"Surya, you really shouldn't go."

"Chandra, I know you and my mother don't have a close relationship but still, I must go."

"Listen to me Surya, you mustn't go today."

"The yagya is today Chandra. For what should I go tomorrow? And it cannot be successful if a son is absent for a yagya conducted by the parents.

...

Divita gave offerings to the fire as the yagya went to its next step.

Surya's father repeatedly requested his wife to stop the ritual which was done after the death of a son.

"Surya has died the second he had married that goddess."

...

Chandra pleaded with Surya to not attend the yagya as she knew what was going to happen if he did.