Chapter 7: Forgetful valley

Zuko woke up under the shade confused as to how he got there. He tried to find Maya but to no avail, Aang got curious about the parchment in the Firelord's hand and took it.

"I can't believe it." Aang muttered as the two sat on the edge of a cliff.

Maya returned as she handed Katara the basket of fruits.

"No illusions this time right?" Katara joked as she took a mango in her hand.

"Nope." Maya smiled as she heard fire nearby. She looked for the fire benders before following the direction of the fire.

She came to the edge of the cliff to see Zuko holding Azula over the edge by her collar.

As much as she wanted to intervene she stopped as the siblings argued.

Aang looked at the girl as she nodded.

Aang left as Zuko let Azula go.

Zuko walked next to Maya about to ask her the truth but stopped when she didn't even look at him, her eyes fixated on his sister. "We should get going."

The three reached camp as half the landscape was burnt. Maya came near the dead plants, muttering something under her breath, the plants came back to life.

As she gave life to the last of the dead plants, she heard Zuko call out to her.

He held out his hand as she climbed onto the bison.

Time skip

Maya watched the play with great interest as Zuko occasionally stole glances at her.

As the final scene ended Zuko could practically see stars in Maya's eyes.

She turned to him and held his hand. "Would you tell me the story in its entirety?" She asked hopefully, her eyes sparkling with wonder.

Zuko, slightly flustered agrees which caused Maya to give him a breathtaking smile.

Katara elbowed Aang and motioned to the red face of the Firelord.

Time skip

The play had come to an end as the director of the play ended up inviting them to his house.

It took Maya one look at the director, Noren to understand that it was Ikem and his wife, Noriko was Ursa.

But to allow Zuko to get the joy of finding his own mother by himself, Maya didn't say anything. Even if she did, the couple wouldn't be able to recollect their old memories.

Their daughter Kiyi approached Maya and Zuko who were sitting side by side. "Do you wanna see my doll?" She asked.

"Of course!" Zuko smiled. He turned to look at Maya but she was meditating.

"Her name is Kiyi!"

"I thought your name was Kiyi?"

"It's such a good name, I used it twice!"

"Well, little Kiyi has a very interesting haircut." Zuko pointed to the jacked hair of the doll.

"I wanted to make her prettier but it didn't turn out very good."

"My sister did stuff like that when she was little." Zuko commented.

"I want a doll as pretty as her." Kiyi pointed to Maya.

Time skip

The couple were telling them about Zuko's mother when Maya awoke form her penance.

"Doll!" Kiyi jumped onto Maya's lap. Zuko smiled as they all got up to leave.

At the front door they thanked Noren and Nokiko for allowing them to stay when Kiyi ran out and held onto Maya and Zuko's legs.