Chapter 29: destruction and recreation

Zuko met Vijay at Surya's temple on the other side of the village.

"First of all you must know the gods you worship." Vijay sat with stacks of books scattered around him.

Zuko sat near him as the older male opened a worn out book.

"First up we have Akash." Vijay spoke. People began to gather around, also wanting to learn about their deities. "God of the sky. He has tan skin, amber eyes and a strand of gold in his dark brown hair."

"He is incharge of holding up the atmosphere, as well as destruction and death."

"Thus, he is called, Mahakaal. Which means 'super death'. He has a chakram with him and normally wears yellow silks."

"He is the element of air. He is free."

"Why do you all worship him then?" Zuko asked.

"He controls air, airbenders used to worship him. He is the closest friend of Chandra, the husband of Bhudevi as well as the younger twin of lord Surya. If we worship him, we are awarded with a peaceful death and freedom from the cycle of rebirth. When it is time for the dissolution of the universe, lord Akash will be a key component."

"He is protective, loving and passionate. And doesn't hesitate to help his devotees."

"He resides on mount Mandara along with Bhudevi. He has taken multiple avatars for the well-being of humanity."

Chandra and Surya were meditating as usual, the former dreaming everything into reality and the latter sustaining it for its survival.

Shiva and Bhudevi were on mount Mandara, playing a board game when Indra, the lord of the demigods arrived.

"Lord Akash! Help us!" Indra ran towards the couple. "Lord Surya and Goddess Chandra are deep in meditation! They aren't waking up!"

"What seems to be the problem?" Akash calmly asked as he continued the game with his wife.

"Demons are attacking the demigods, they are trying to conquer the heavens! Please send them back to the netherworlds."

Akash turned back to his wife, who nodded, a bit disappointed, he turned back to Indra as the two males left.

Bhudevi looked at the board game as she couldn't help but feel disappointed. Her best friends would always be in meditation while her husband would always be brothered by the demigods.

She patiently waited for Akash to come back. When the god returned, Bhudevi confronted her husband about him not spending enough time with her.

Akash smiled at his wife as he stepped closer to her, taking her hand in his.

"Why are you so paranoid?" He chuckled as a smaller Akash stood in her palms and went into her heart. "I have, and always will be with you. Wether you see me or not."

"Oh really?" She raised an eyebrow. "I technically am in every being on Earth then, are you with all them?"

"Of course I am."

From that day, Lord Akash and Bhudevi were worshipped as the deities who resided in each and every being.

"Who is Bhudevi?"

"Earth. Often worshipped as mother earth, Bhudevi is worshipped by the eathbenders. She is responsible for providing shelter to humans as well as recreation after the universe has been dissolved."

"She often called the creator in contrast to her husband who is called the destroyer."

"She has olive skin, green eyes and brown hair. She is also referred as a mother goddess because of her kindness, love and selflessness. We worship her for good health, fertility, marriage as well as crops. She's a peaceful goddess who is shown holding flora in her hands while being surrounded by all kinds of life."

"She is the element of earth. She is stable and unmoving, it is different to anger her. She decided to take the form of a planet, which we now live on."

Chandra, Surya, Akash and Bhudevi sat together along with the rest of the gods.

"There must be a place for the mortals to stay." Surya spoke. "They cannot live in heaven nor in the netherworld."

"We must make a middle ground for the humans to reside." Chandra continued.

"I shall take the responsibility." Bhudevi offered. "I'll take form of a planet."

"Very well, it is decided then." Akash smiled. "Me, Surya and Chandra will accompany you in some way."

"I will take the form of the moon." Chandra announced. "So I can keep an eye on what is going on."

"I'll become the sun." Surya joined in. "I will provide warmth to make the planet habitable."

"And I'll provide air and oxygen, in the form of the atmosphere."

"That was how the Earth was born. Bhudevi was also worshipped by the name Prithvi, which literary translates to Earth."

"How did the two meet then?" One of the listeners asked Vijay.

"They have always known eachother. They have been together even before time was a thing. Akash and Bhudevi aren't different. Nor are Chandra and Surya. One being incomplete without the other. They are the prime examples of how a relationship should be."

"Explain?"

"In a relationship of true love, you just give, and never expect anything in return." Vijay spoke. "We have recorded a few words spoken by Surya when he was talking about Chandra."

He opened a book and swiftly turned to the needed page as he read out.

"I can recognise her by touch alone, by smell; I would know her blind, by the way her feet strike the ground or the clouds. Or even in the impossible death of a god, I would recognise her in an instant."

Zuko looked down at his lap as the words felt familiar to him. "Has Chandra said anything?"

Vijay nodded. "This was when Surya was put in danger by the demons and a sage had asked her why she was so impatient on getting him back."

Chandra watched everything from her throne when the sun suddenly went dark. She was immediately greeted by Akash, Prithvi and the demigods, along with the sages who bowed to her.

"Goddess, Lord Surya has been captured by the demons who plan to eradicate the Sun."