Chapter 19: At the battlefield

The queen sat on her desk with her head in her hands worried, the thoughts which questioned whether Zuko would be alright ran in hear head.

The army troops would be reaching her country in one day and thanks to Vishwakarma and Shiva, they were able to extend the country grounds quite a bit.

Kuei had sent the tents and shelters as her soldiers were settings some of them up.

Maya had decided to conduct a few tests to understand what she was working with.

...

Zuko sat on his ship with many more following behind. The tall mountains came into view.

Soon, the ships reached the shore and a few of Maya's commanders greeted them and lent a hand setting up the temporary settlement.

The fire nation soldiers had heard about the power possessed by Maya and Shiva which shook them to their core.

After all the armies had arrived and had settled down, Maya and Shiva made and appearance.

"A test shall be conducted based on your skills, from archery to bending, everything will be tested and you will be grouped accordingly."

Time skip

Maya read the soldier's rankings as Shiva grouped them together.

"The weapons have been distributed among the soldiers." Shiva informed. "You will be on a chariot right?"

Maya nodded, not looking up, her head resting on the windowsill.

"What's with you?"

"Zuko. He got a vision." Maya answered, a hint of relief in her voice.

Shiva chuckled slightly as he went away.

Time skip

The ships reached the battlefield which was surrounded by water. Before starting, Maya conducted a small offering to the ocean god to calm his waves down.

While Maya was busy, Shiva announced the rules of the battle.

"The most important rule, the war will be stopped after sunset and those who attack after twilight will be discarded. It will continue the next day from sun rise."

"Number two, never attack someone who cannot defend themselves and is unarmed. That includes the injured."

"Number three, if the opponents break the rules, that doesn't mean that you do. If someone does break the rules may it be from our side or from the asuras, punishment will be given."

"How will you know who broke the rules?" One of the soldiers asked.

"That you don't fear about." Shiva smirked. "We will find out."

Zuko sat next to Maya who was leaning against her dragon. She remembered something as she handed Zuko a pair of dual swords.

"I heard you like them." She smiled as she walked away.

He scanned the intricate patterns and saw something engraved into the handles.

"From Maya to Zuko." He read out with a smile on his face.

Shiva stumbled upon the Firelord smiling at the handle of a broad swords as he went closer.

"What's with that smile?"

Zuko snapped out of his trance as he realised he had been smiling. "Nothing. Nothing."

"You know she is a goddess right?" Shiva hinted. "And only a god can be with a goddess."

Zuko's face fell as he asked. "Why only a god? Why not a mortal?"

Shiva thought for a second before speaking. "Well... Mortals die. The divine beings live on."

"But mortals reincarnate."

"How many times should the god find the mortal? And how many years must the god wait to be reunited? The mortal won't even remember their past life. What if the mortal falls in love with another? Should the god just hope that the mortal chooses them? Is that fair?"

"It isn't.."

"Not only that, gods and mortals are two different- let's just say... Species. If a mortal and god are in a relationship it will be the same as a rat and a elephant. It just won't make sense."

"Then who all can be with a goddess?"

"Other gods only."

"So your a god as well?"

"Yeah, basically."

"So only you can be with Maya."

Shiva spat out the water he was drinking. "What?" He asked, exasperated. "Me? With Maya? No, no, no..."

"Then who will be with you?"

"Krutika! Who else?"

"She's a goddess?"

"She doesn't know. She let her memories go when she decided to incarnate here."

"So whose there for Maya?" He asked a ray of hope shining in his heart.

"There must be her soulmate somewhere. Another god must be present."

"Who?"

"Maybe he's amongst us? Maybe he's a secret kept by Maya? Who knows?"

"I thought you knew." Zuko huffed.

"Oh I do. It's just that I can't tell you. You'll have to find out yourself." Shiva walked away.

Zuko went inside his tent and was greeted by team Avatar.

...

Shiva walked into Maya's tent where the Dwarka commanders were also present.

"I gave him hints. I don't know how he took them though." He sat down on a cushion next to the queen. 

Maya nodded as they both turned to the commanders. "Those asuras are bound to break the rules but make sure none of our armies follow after." Shiva told them.

"After all, there has to be a difference between humans and asuras."

Maya heard rustling outside as she went to investigate.

Bali, the younger brother of Shumbh limped towards the queen. The commanders came out of the tent as well and immediately drew out their weapons to protect Maya.

She raised her hand to make the commanders stand down as she walked forward. "What brings you here?"

"My goddess, I left my brother. I cannot accompany him in conducting such sins. Please, take me under your care for I have nowhere else to go." He got on his knees.

Maya's gazed softened at the demon as she placed her hand on his forehead.

His reddish skin turning more human, his horns went back into his skull as his nails and height shortened. His features sharpened as his dull eyes sparked with life.

He looked at his new appearance and thanked the goddess. "I am forever indebted by your mercy. O best among woman, tell me what can I do for you?"

Maya thought for a second before speaking, "Bali, you know many things about the demon army. You will be my and Shiva's charioteer. You will tell us where to hit out weapons and the boons the demons have so we can find a loophole."

"A loophole? Your highness, they have asked for boons which basically make them immortal."

"Each and every being born on this Earth must die someday. There is a loophole for every boon." Maya assured.

"I apologise, but how will I be with both you and Lord Shiva?" Bali asked.

"I will temporarily split you soul so that it can know what is going on in both places. You will have two material bodies sharing the same soul." She explained. "Now, I suggest you all get proper rest. We have an important day tomorrow."