Chapter 17: Asuras

Maya felt Shiva's panic as she shuffled awake. She tried to sit up but was held down by Zuko. He face went red as she recollected the memories from yesterday.

She carefully untangled herself from his arms and went to the balcony.

Shiva peeked inside the room and motioned Maya to come.

She slowly walked out, careful to not allow her anklets to make any sound.

She pulled to door shut as Shiva dragged her to his room.

A world map with pins spread around on it waited for the two.

"Each pin is were an asura was spotted. If we try to get a starting point as from where they come.." He connected the loose strings in the middle of the ocean. "There is a high possibility that they come from here."

Maya pressed her palm on the spot where Shiva suspected to be the entrance an closed her eyes.

She felt herself travel to the location along with the boy.

The stood on water momentarily before falling in.

They sinked to the ocean floor and saw a massive trench.

They swam into the opening as the darkness surrounded them.

The water seemed to levitate, suspended above the water without touching the ground.

They both saw a massive entrance with what seemed to be the skulls of humans.

Two guards stopped them from entering, but the second they touched the divine bodies they exploded.

Their black blood splattered over Maya and Shiva which turned golden, now purified.

It rolled off them and onto the ground. They went straight into the palace, paying no regard to the demons gazing hungrily at them.

One of the asuras dared to touch Shiva as he met the same fate as the guards.

Seeing the blood of the now dead demon, the rest scampered away in fear.

Maya's footprints shined a bright shade of gold while Shiva footprints were the colour of a red ruby.

They stood proud infront of the king of the demons, Shumbh. He had a muscular and tall build, almost twice as tall as Shiva. His eyes were red and his scelra black. He had protruding teeth of a predator and a crooked nose. His bushy eyebrows were damp and his hair was greasy. A crown made of bones rested on his head. His limbs were uneven with long sharp nails.

"What brings you two here?" He asked as spit flew out of his mouth.

"We have come in peace Shumbh." Maya spoke. "Leave the surface of the Earth alone and I shall make sure that your netherworld won't be disturbed."

The king howled in laughter. "Why should I? I have been stuck in this garbage place for as long as I remember. I don't want to rule these ungrateful incels!"

"They have turned this way because of you Shumbh." Shiva announced. "Because of your selfishness and corruption. I suggest that you mend your ways and take your demons back or else war will be inevitable."

The younger brother of Shumbh spoke up. "Listen to them, our army might me more in numbers but even you know the power they possess." He whispered to the king who swatted the younger away.

"Shut up! Who are you to tell me what to do Bali?" Shumbh growled.

Maya gave Shiva a side eye as he vanished.

"Your little bodyguard also left." Shumbh spoke. "Who's gonna protect you now?"

He motioned a guard to come near as he turned back to her. "I knew you would be coming." He told her as she felt heavy chains being wrapped around her. "Throw her in the prison!"

The guards dragged her to the dungeons, careful not to touch her.

The queen didn't refuse nor did she try to fight back or escape.

She walked behind the bars, not caring that she was chained up be something with was more than a hundred kilograms heavy.

Shumbh walked into the dungeons and stood infront of the girl with a smug look on his face.

"Your arrogance as increased a lot since I last saw you." Maya walked closer. "But you intelligence is still the same."

The demon scowled at the insult as she continued. "You fool, how did you forget?" She asked as the chains slid off her figure.

Shumbh's anger rose as he stormed into the cell and picked the chains up. He wrapped it around her torso but it seemed to fall short, he took the chain away and measured it and tried again.

He cursed at her as he continuously attempted to tie the queen but failed, who's smile was slowly fading.

"You Trickster! Stop with your little games or else I will end you this instant!"

A light shined from  Maya, causing the demon to recoil back.

He form was increased so that her head almost touched the high ceiling.

Her figure was roughly visible as it glowed bright, as if the sun itself was standing infront of Shumbh.

"I am the endless sky, I am the never-ending winds, I am the entire universe. The nectar of immortality sprouts from me, the other universes sprout from me. The constellations you see every night are mine, the sun you see every day is mine. I am the entire reality. Countless suns, countless moons, countless stars, countless gods and goddesses reside in me. I am on this end of life and at the other end. Now come, come, Shumbh tie them all!" Maya's voice boomed.

The sheer presence of Maya's true appearance made Shumbh fall unconscious as she vanished.

She made land appear on the water body as she teleported back into her palace.

Coincidentally, Zuko saw Maya walking into her room drenched in salt water. A few minutes later she came out and hugged him.

Taken aback, Zuko stopped for a second before happily hugging back.

"Alert the nations." Maya pulled away.

"We're at war."