Chapter 26: Surya

Chandra held onto her husband's hand as she pleaded. "I beg you Surya. Don't go to that yagya."

Surya waited for a moment as he remembered his vow. "I will never disobey your command." He thought.

He stopped as she gave out a sigh of relief.

Surya looked back at the gates which led to the Earth. He looked back at his wife whose eyes held nothing but worry.

"I'm sorry." He muttered as he went out of the gate. Chandra was about to follow after but a wall of fire stopped her.

"I'll see you soon." He left.

Chandra fell to her knees as she remembered his vow. "I will never disobey your command. When I do, that will be my last day."

Tears threatened to fall from her blue eyes, to avoid allowing them to fall, she sat down on the grass and began to meditate but her mind travelled to the yagya.

...

Surya arrived at his birthplace, he entered the hall where the grand yagya was taking place.

"Mother!"

Divita paused as she looked up at the man at the entrance.

"I am not your mother boy." She spoke in a stone cold voice. "My only son died and this yagya is to honour him. Not you."

Surya turned to his father who simply looked down in shame.

"Father... What is this?" He asked, which was met with no answer.

"Leave at once boy, you aren't invited here and nor is that goddess of yours."

"She belongs to everyone, mother and everyone belongs to her."

"That elusive woman does nothing but trick people. And idiots still worship her. Idiots like you."

"It is all for the betterment of the world. She incarnates on Earth, finds loopholes in the boons of demons to protect humanity and those so called 'idiots' you talk about."

"She's nothing but a trickster with powers."

"She is the preserver of all existence, if she forgets about you, you will cease to exist. You speak so lowly of her, mother, but still she hasn't taken away your wealth and power."

"How can that woman take my power away? I am the most powerful human there ever was and ever will be!"

"You might be the most powerful human, mother. But she is the supreme goddess."

Divita kept on insulting Chandra as Surya finally lot his patience.

"Divita!" His voice boomed. He had never raised his voice infront of his mother before hence this was a suprise for everyone. "Up until now, I was talking to you as your son! But now I will talk to you as Chandra's husband. It is my duty to protect the honour of my wife and that is exactly what I will do."

"And you sat silently this whole time?" He turned to Bhudevi fuming in anger. "You allowed your devotee to speak such words about your own goddess?"

Bhudevi looked down as she explained. "Forgive me Surya, but I am tied down to the promise."

Surya stormed over to Divita. "I knew I should've listened to Chandra who tried to stop me from attending this yagya. Let me tell you, Divita, this ritual was doomed the second you decided to not invite Chandra."

"I argued with her for no reason to come here. I can't even think of what I might have said to her. Even if I return, she would gladly accept me back and welcome me with open arms but-" He looked down at his divine form. "I won't be able to accept myself."

"Stop Surya!" Bhudevi got up. "Do you understand how much this will hurt Chandra?"

"Devi, Swamini had already stopped me from coming here and now I know why. She knew what would happen if I came here. It was fate. It was destiny. I am destined to die today."

"No Surya! If you do, Chandra won't leave this universe alive!"

"How can this measly body understand the love of Chandra? I may be the masculine energy of existence with Chandra as my female counterpart, I may the husband of Swamini, but being Divitaputra degrades my image greatly."

"I cannot be with Chandra with is imperfection."

"Imperfection?!" Divita screamed. "Then go ahead, kill yourself this instant!"

"DIVITA!" Bhudevi shouted. "How dare you tell your own son to end his life? How dare you tell a god to end his life? I cannot tolerate this anymore! I curse you Divita, the way you are the cause of your son's death, he will also one day be the cause of yours. All of your rebirths on Earth, you will be killed by Chandra!"

Divita begged the goddess to take the curse back who refused.

Surya came forward as he closed his eyes. He pressed his palms together infront of his chest and told Chandra to wait for him.

The god's body caught fire as the soul left behind the corpse.

The fire blocking Chandra extinguished as tears ran down the goddess's cheeks. Surya's spirit came infront of her, he wiped her tears away and placed a kiss on her forehead before vanishing.

One last tear fell on the ground out of which came a woman.

She had wild hair, four arms with a head of a demon, a massive sword and a skull necklace. Her eyes were red with fury as she ran out and towards the earth.

Divita was alerted by the guards about the frightening woman approaching the palace as Divita manipulated Bhudevi to protect her.

The Earth goddess came out with Divita shivering behind her.

"Move out my was Devi." The woman ordered.

Bhudevi bowed before speaking politely, "Forgive me my goddess, I cannot. I am tied to the promise."

The two women fought as the woman with the skull necklace won. Bhudevi was still in good condition, not having any wounds or scratches.

Bhudevi was pinned away as the angry goddess ran towards Divita and beheaded her.

Even after killing the woman, Chandra didn't call her form back, the goddess continued the chaos in all three realms.

Soon, Akash reached Swarg where he found Chandra holding Surya's body. He released his chakram and disposed of the god's corpse.

Chandra finally came back to her senses as she dismissed the destructive goddess.

__________________________

Divitaputra- son of Divita