Looking for Sanctuary

Start from the beginning

Narcist nodded.

"As a large port city, it's a transit hub for a number of the smaller races, such as shape shifters and chameleons. But it's only a couple hundred years old so no vampire colony in the city itself. Werewolves occasionally pass through but no pack calls the city home. There is, however, a small, unaffiliated group of psionics that reside there."

As she said that, Narcist hazarded a look over at Lash, the big vampire silent to this point. And found him grimly thoughtful, as expected.

While learning about a local Dark Edge presence was interesting, it was also irrelevant. Only psionics and werewolves challenged their supremacy in the Dark Edge. And neither were in position to stop an investigation of Blutholt even if they wanted to. So Druzha's questions, while obviously not made out of a lack of intelligence or drive, the Nosfetatu known for high amounts of both, were just as irrelevant.

Unfortunately it also revealed her inexperience with an actual combat situation. Powerful enough to be called a senior sister amongst her peers, Druzha commanded hundreds, if not thousands of Blood Guard. They would be the ones doing the fighting for her. She hadn't been in a single battle. Her slinky outfit, worn more for Lash's benefit than her own, confirmed it: Druzha of the Nosferatu was no fighter.

Nor was Meredith, as evidenced by her willingness to ask the same sort of questions. The blonde lilith, however, had greatly benefited from her stay at NachtFeuer, with a majority of her strength and confidence as a queen of her people restored. Something must've happened in there that healed her mind and soul, putting her back together.

Out of the three, only Fiadh had seen a decent amount of combat, thanks to her time in their company. While she didn't fire a weapon herself, she learned how to move on the battlefield, take directions, and participate in real planning sessions. Which was why she, like Lash, remained thoughtfully silent.

Then Lash was finally speaking. And, as expected, it had nothing to do with their mission into Denmark.

"Before we make a move into Denmark, we need to find a safe haven for the breeders we pulled out of the fallen Night Market," he said firmly. To their credit, all three liliths quickly nodded in agreement.

"There's a creche hub in Switzerland," Dru indicated. "I know the local mistress. She can take a plane load and get them cleaned up and sorted before putting them back into the network. And Sasha, one of the senior sisters from the Conclave, can get us in touch with her Vorinov contacts to get another plane sent to one of their hubs."

Lash frowned at that. Ventru and Vorinov seldom got along, even less than with Nosferatu vampires. For good reason: the Russia-based clan was ruthless, taking every opportunity to improve their position and increase their power. They had quickly moved in to take Toreador's chair on the Council when the western clan faltered under pressure from the Brotherhood, even though they weren't Original Three. Knowing the kind of leverage having a plane load of breeders would give them, he'd rather look at almost anything else as an alternative.

But, as Nosfetatu, Dru would've seen Vorinov aggression against Houses in her own clan. Ventru disliked Vorinov but seldom went to war against them. Where Nosferatu shared a border with them and were in constant combat with the aggressive Russian vampires. Vorinov should've been the last clan she would've suggested as a possible safe have.

"I see that look," Dru said with a raised brow before he could put any of that into words. "And normally I'd rather drink pig's blood than to say that name. But Sasha I trust. She'll get the girls safely back into the network and neither Drago nor Moskva will be any the wiser!"

"That leaves just this plane then," Meredith said. "I wish I could offer options of my own, but the Hand has possessed my estate and I'm not as established on the continent as Druzha."

"I, unfortunately, must echo that," Fiadh said with an unhappy twist of her mouth. "The Hand and the White Flames took everything from me."

"I'm aware of several refuges and sanctuaries in Ventru territory, our clan strongly supporting and protecting the network as a key to our future," Lash said before his expression tightened. "But our heartland is under assault. We would only be putting them in further danger."

"What about Romania?" Narcist spoke up to say. "Nosfetatu has traditional strongholds in several cities there, including Bucharest. Do any possess a sanctuary?"

Dru slowly nodded as she considered Narcist's suggestion.

"My own personal holdings are in Bucharest," she said. "And while many Nosferatu Houses would seek to take advantage of having so many breeders in hand, I know a few that have an eye on our people's future, not growing their power. But, I'll need to make some calls."

"Please do so, Night Mistress," Lash respectfully directed. "I could not go to Denmark before I knew every little sister was safe!"

Dru nodded.

"It will take some time," she warned. Lash quickly nodded in understanding.

"Perhaps a little time free and safe will be just what the little sisters need!"