Year 11: GIRLFRIENDS🏳️‍🌈

(longest chapter so far. a lot of pov shifts. buckle up)

Darcy

I lay in my bed, staring at the ceiling. Tara and I had a fight yesterday because I had, quite literally, kicked her out of my window. She said she was worth more than this and I mean, I don't disagree. So, I will be taking her out on a date today. I only have to figure out what to buy her as a gift and well, an apology.

Tara

I think I had been a bit too harsh with Darcy yesterday. But since it made her take me out on a date, I did not regret it in any way. I was however, feeling a bit sorry for her. So I decided I was going to make something for her. Only for her. Something special. I picked up a pen and tore a page from one of my notebooks, keeping the edges uneven on purpose to make it look more...improvised, I guess?

Darcy

I decided on buying her a bouquet. I would have bought her a chocolate as well, there is nothing more romantic than a bouquet and a box of chocolates, but she does not like chocolates, so I stuck with something else. Something sweet that she enjoys. Her favourite glazed donuts. I would have to wait another thirty minutes for the shop to open up though.

Tara

I walked over to my desk and sat down, clicking my pen open, and I started writing:

I would have described you as my favourite chocolate, but I don't have one, so I will call you my sunshine. Warm and bright. Sometimes, I fear I will look at you a second too long, and your piercing glare will burn me, but then again, I won't see anything if you are not around. Everything just turns dark and cold without you, my sunshine, my baby.

Darcy

I finally decided it was time to jump out of bed and go outside to actually get gifts for my date. I went to the florist first and bought some fresh flowers. Tara loves the smell of fresh flowers, and she loves to take care of them as well. My girl is a loving person at heart. She gives her love selflessly and without a wish for anything in return. She gives and gives and gives, and I take and take and take. It makes me feel guilty sometimes.

Tara

Nothing tastes sweeter than my baby's love and nothing feels better than giving her all of mine. When I take my finger and trail it down her skin, it burns into a cherry red line and she says she loves how it feels. I love my baby when she loves me and I love her too when she hates me and I love her too when I hate her. Like the red I scratch on her skin fades, every other emotion in me fades away and I am left only with love. I say I don't like chocolates, but maybe I lie, because I know chocolates melt just the same way her lips melt on mine.

Darcy

I walked to the bakers from where I was supposed to get the donuts and found it closed. I huffed and decided it was best if I just picked Tara up and then we could eat the donuts nice and fresh right at the bakery. I pulled out my phone and typed a quick message to her.

Tara

I know my baby is away from home right now, away from me, but she will walk back to me. Always. She always knows where to find me and even if she does not, if I ever wander away a bit too far, I will leave my footprints for you. You will always find me baby, and I will always find you.

My phone, which lay on the desk beside the sheet I was writing on, lit up. Darcy had sent me a message: Coming home baby.

I smiled.

Darcy

I loitered down the road, clumsily walking along the footpath for a while and then jumping down to the road. I stared at the dull grey of the pavements and started zoning out, but before it took a hold of me I shook my head. Zoning out felt so close to those moments, when my brain disappeared, it terrified me. I had done some research on it and figured out it was something called as dissociation or derealization maybe. It didn't matter. What mattered was that those moments scared me, and they scared Tara too. I did not care about what happened to me, but the fact that it bothered Tara made me want to fix it. But I had no idea how.