Year 8: Releasing negative energy

Darcy's pov

After I got to know about Tara's new boyfriend, the first thing I felt was a strong bitterness. It was not jealousy or anything, but I was so pissed off that I had not got to know about this from Tara herself. I mean, we were supposed to be best friends, right? We were supposed to tell each other stuff about our lives.

After the whole Harry's party thing, everything changed. Suddenly, Tara was a popular girl. Other girls started joining the orchestra because Tara was in it. Everybody started buzzing around her like bees and I was merely the lesbian side kick.

So, I did what I usually do when I am pissed off. I let the anger build up in me until it reached a breaking point.

And it reached the breaking point at the end of music class when the room was empty except me and Tara.

"So, wanna hangout after school today?" I asked non-chalantly as we were packing up the instruments.

"Oh, I'm so sorry Darcy," she said, "but I have some plans today."

That was it. I could not take it any more. "With your new boyfriend?" I spat out.

Tara stared at me wide-eyed. "Y- you know."

"Yes, I know," I said, seething, "and guess how did I get to know?"

She was completely silent.

"A couple of girls ganged up on me and said, 'Do you know your girlfriend has cheated on you?'" I felt a lump form in my throat, "And I had no idea you were going to Harry's party. I had no idea that my best friend had found a boyfriend."

She did not say anything.

"I would have been happy for you," I said, laughing now, almost maniacally, "I would have loved to be friends with Nick Nelson and made fun of you two lovebirds. Why didn't you tell me? Am I not cool enough for you? Or wait..." I gasped dramatically, "Do you- like everybody else- think just because I am a lesbian, I will obviously have a crush on you? Knowing you have a boyfriend must break my little heart so badly."

"Darcy, no..." she said finally, but I was done. I turned on my heels and stomped outside the room, leaving Tara standing there, completely stunned.

I needed some time to myself so I went into the bathroom and locked myself in a stall and started crying. After a few moments, I heard the bathroom door open. For a moment I thought it was Tara but then I heard a voice and realized it was not Tara at all.

"Hey, I don't know who you are but are you okay in there?" the voice called out. I recognised her as the twat from the locker room.

I did not reply.

A moment's silence.

"Darcy is that you? You are the only student who comes to school wearing Doc Martin's."

I swear this girl is stalking me.

"Darcy, what's wrong?"

"Nothing! Fucking leave for God's sake," I shouted finally.

I saw her stance change adamantly, "I am not leaving."

I scoffed and threw my head in my hands. "For fuck's sake."

I wiped away my tears and walked out of the stall. "Oh Darcy," she said, her eyebrows pinching together pitifully.

"What is your problem? I don't even know your goddamn name," I said sourly.

"Firstly, my problem is that I cannot see you upset. Second, my name is Vanora. Vanora Carter if you will," she said, clicking her tongue, "look at you."

Then she took me to the basin and washed my face, and shushed me when fresh tears fell down again.

"Why are you doing this?" I asked her quietly as she pushed my hair away from my face.

"Hmm..." She pursed her lips, "simply said?" she said smiling playfully, "I really like your hair."

I chuckled. "Thanks for being here."

"Anytime Darcy Olsson," she winked.

"Do you always call people by their full name when you are going to annoy them?" I asked, sighing.

"Nah. Memorizing full names is very hard for me. If I am using your full name, trust me I am putting in a lot of effort," she grinned, "So long, Darcy Olsson."

So long?

"So long, Vanora Carter" I smiled. She turned away and left the bathroom, just as the next bell went off.