Year 8: Y-You never told me

Tara's pov

Darcy seated herself cross-legged in front of me. "So, how is the hot boy problem going on?"

I choked on my cup of tea, "Hot boy?"

"Well, I don't remember his name. What was I supposed to say?"

"Nick. Nick Nelson," I said, wiping my lips, "Well, I haven't been going out with him now. I guess he had got the message. He is still friendly though."

Darcy nodded thoughtfully, "He really sounds like a jem of a boy."

I shrugged.

We looked at each other silently for a while. "I missed you," I said quietly, something stirring in my heart that I couldn't quite understand. I reached out my hand and slipped it in Darcy's.

"Sorry for you, but I didn't," Darcy said, "joking obviously, but I have finally found myself a girl who is interested in being something more than platonic bffs with me."

"Oh," I said, slithering my hand away from Darcy's grip. "What is she like?"

"Well, she is crazy, for one," Darcy giggled, leaning back on her hands, "But like in a cool way though. And she loves drawing and she is bad at maths."

"Oh," I looked down at my lap, and something stirred in my chest, something so unlike my character, it took me a few minutes to understand what it was. Jealousy. A white burning jealousy.

"So, are you two, like, going out?" I asked.

Darcy pursed her lips, "Hmm...I don't think she wants to date. She is too fiery to stick to a person like me."

I stayed silent, which probably wasn't a good sign because Darcy's expression dropped.

"You don't want me to talk about it, do you?" she said.

"I... I don't..."

Darcy's pov

The look on Tara's face confused me so much, I wanted to take a cup of water and throw it on her face.

"What?" I said.

"I just..." Tara gulped, "I feel like I am very close to figuring out why Nick wasn't the one."

"Oh," I looked at her, my mind whirring incessantly what does she mean what does she mean what does she mean.

"I don't understand," I said quietly.

"Me neither," Tara said, and cupped my face in her hands, her thumb caressing my cheeks.

"Oh- I," I put my hands on top of Tara's, surprised but enjoying what she was doing nevertheless, "Y-You never told me..."

"I didn't know it either," Tara said, "until now." She locked eyes with me, then leaned in and kissed my cheek.

"Is this, uhm, okay?" she stuttered. She was so scared and unsure of herself, it was sort of cute.

"Yeah, definitely," I said holding her hand and pulling her out of bed.

"What-?" she started but before she could say anything I wrapped my arms around her, pulling her as close to me as possible. Tara gave into the hug easily, wrapping her arms tightly around me.

"Uhm, I want to like, take it slow or whatever. I'm not really sure if I am ready...right now."

"That's fine," I said, rubbing my hand on her back. We pulled away and looked at each other.

I grinned. "Well, well, and people say my charm is fake."

"Idiot," she muttered, slapping my arm, but she was grinning as well.