Year 11: You've befriended the school lesbians

Darcy's pov

"Wait! There's an empty classroom here. Let's chill for a while," I said, grabbing Tara's hand and dragging her into the classroom.

We had been walking in the corridor and Tara had suddenly mentioned that she wanted to come out. I tried being a responsible girlfriend by saying that it was not something you did impulsively and that she should only do it if she was hundred percent sure about it blah blah. It was all bullshit. I very badly wanted her to come out too. However, I did not want her to regret it.

"I mean, I suppose it will be all worth it to be with you," Tara said casually, like a throw-away line, but it just threw my heart into somersaults.

That's when I dragged her into the empty classroom to distract her from the blush creeping up on my face.

We sat at the back so that we would not be visible to anyone passing by. Then we started talking about some random topic. Was it something about a quiz? A show? I don't remember that well. We were Tara and Darcy, there was nothing in the world that we could not argue about.

"Knew it!"

"You said it in your head. That doesn't count!"

"It totally counts."

"That completely doesn't count!"

"You're rubbing off on me."

"You're worse."

"I'm not!"

I suppose at this point we were being too loud because someone heard us in the corridor and walked in. "Um, hi."

I nearly lept out of my skin. As I turned around I realized two things at once: I was holding Tara's hand and Elle was at the door awkwardly, like she knew she was intruding something.

Naturally, I panicked and slithered my hand away. "I was just admiring Tara's hands," I explained, "'Cause, like, mine get super crusty in the cold, but hers are really soft."

Beside me Tara scoffed, "Darcy."

Elle fiddled with the strap of her bag, "I'm sorry if I've got totally the wrong idea here, but are you two, like... dating?"

Tara looked at me and I raised my brows Well, you said you wanted to come out. Time to act it.

Tara sighed, then looked at Elle, "Don't tell anyone, okay? Only a few of our friends know, but I think you're officially
part of the inner circle."

I couldn't stop smiling as Elle came and sat beside us and we all held hands. The queer community. Damn, the energies were immaculate.

We let go of each other's hands. "Also, "hers are really soft," that's the gayest excuse I've heard in my life," Tara said, mocking me. Elle laughed.

I grinned, and looked at Elle, "Well, you've befriended the school lesbians." Lesbians. God, saying the word out loud was such a relief.

Elle laughed, "Well, you have befriended the trans girl, so I think we are cool."

"By the way did you know that trans girl is signed like this in asl?" I said, signing it with my right hand, "Damn, why does the trans community get the prettiest people, prettiest flag and the prettiest hand sign too?"

Elle shrugged, "We are just superior."

Tara laughed, and I looked at her, amazed at how beautiful she was for the millionth time that day.

***
A/n

Short chapters or longer ones?