Year 10: Party

Darcy's pov

I spotted the house of one of my bestest friends, Kay. The first time I met them, they were crying, injured on the pavement of the road. Me and a couple of my other friends had taken them home and stayed as their mother treated an open gash on their leg, leaving behind a white scar on their dark skin. Later, they became an official member of our playgroup.

There were lights blaring through the window and I could feel a low thumping pulse of music in my legs as I walked up to the door. I had no company with me today. I had asked George to come with me but he said he was busy doing hot trans stuff which, apparently, was wearing an oversized hoodie and playing video games.

Anyway, I walked inside while the host was busy making out with their girlfriend, Ana. Both of them were looking like a 'polar opposite couple' straight out of a film. Ana was wearing an angel themed dress while Kay was in a black leather skirt and red crop top covered in chains. Their red buzz cut hair went along so well with the vibe. My heart inflated a little.

There was an explosion somewhere in one of the rooms and the couple broke apart. Eventually, Kay's eyes caught mine and they came rushing over to me. I was astonished at how their lipstick was still intact.

"Bae, we missed you," they said as they gave me a bone-crushing hug, which made me realise they were already a couple of drinks in.

"Missed you too, love," I said, pushing them an arms length away, my lips curling up. Ana gave an apologetic smile on their behalf as she gave me a hug as well.

"How are things going, sweetheart?" she said, pouring me a drink as the host was way too giddy to do it. "How is your 'secret girlfriend' doing?" she asked, raising her eyebrows suggestively.

"Well, you know," I shrugged, "secretive."

"Aww, sweetie," she said, patting my cheek slightly.

"And here comes our special new guest," Kay said, strutting to the door and I shook my head.

"I invited Charlie over today," Ana said, leaning back against the table as I heard Kay say very loudly, "Charlieeee, my guy," as they swung an arm around his skinny shoulders.

"Charlie?" I asked, "As in Charlie Spring from Truham?"

"Yeah," Ana smiled and waved at him, "We have drumming classes together. He is a cool guy."

"Not gonna lie, that is pretty impressive."

"Hearing him play is even more impressive."

By this time, both of them had made their way over to us and Kay was vigorously introduction Charlie to everyone. The poor boy seemed so uncomfortable, I figured it was time to save him.

"I would love to get to know you more," I said, pulling Charlie away from Kay's grasp and letting Ana take care of them.

"Hey, thanks," Charlie said, ruffling up his hair nervously, "sorry, I am not used to being in parties and stuff." He cringed at his words and gave an embarrassed smile.

"Yeah, clearly," I said taking a sip of my drink and then realising my tone, "I mean, it's okay, everyone has their firsts. And Kay is a scary kind of extra when they are drunk so yeah."

"Yeah clearly," Charlie smiled, and I could not help it but smile back. He has a very wholesome smile.

The music turned up. A mlm version of I kissed a girl started playing.

This was never the way I planned

Not my intention

I got so brave, drink in hand